Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - a little background info:<br><br>
DH and I built our house 6 years ago when we first got married. We now have 3 children and I have a full-time job I absolutely despise. We make decent $, but our house payment is SO HIGH that we're pretty much a paycheck-to-paycheck family. We decided that it would be better for our finances and our health (because my job is literally killing me I think) to sell and downsize, to the point where I will be able to work either part-time or not at all.<br><br>
But - the houses in our subdivision take YEARS to sell, and often sell for WAY less than they're worth. (Like, up to $30,000 less than what they're worth.) I can't stand the thought of being stuck here for 2 or 3 more years! I've found these places online that say they can sell your house in under 2 weeks, and that you don't have to pay any fees and you're not obligated to take any of their offers.<br><br>
So - my question is, how does it work? And, is there something I need to watch our for, like, is it a scam or something??<br><br>
Also - our house needs some repairs (thanks to messy kids!). Like the carpet downstairs is totally stained, and we have an area of the ceiling of our family room (about 12" long by 4" across) where there is some mild water damage. It will cost a lot to fix these things, though, which we definately don't have.... I'm pretty clueless when it comes to real estate, but, should I try to sell the house as is?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Those places are going to lowball you. You'll get a quick sale, but at an even lower price than you would have had you gone the traditional route.<br><br>
Are you underwater on the mortgage?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Where are you located that the market is so bad? Detroit area?<br><br>
I would first look at reducing the interest rate (refinance) or taking in a roommate to reduce your costs. Also, try to renegotiate you property taxes based on lower value.<br><br>
If you rent out the entire house, can you cover the mortage and taxes?

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
How much are you upside down on the mortgage? Dirty carpet and a ceiling repair are very easy and not too costly to do. If the other homes do not sell, I cant see how a service can come in and wave a wand and sell you home. If thats true, your neighbors would have already done it.<br><br>
I think you need to visit the homes for sale in your neighborhood. Compare location, cleanness, size of home, decor, curb appeal, etc and also check homes that have sold. Talk with realtors and have them do a cma. Figure out why these homes are not selling and go from there.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
i agree start interviewing agents... (this is no cost to you) have then look at your home, they will tell you what to fix what to keep etc... tour some open houses in your area...<br><br>
holiday season is typically slow for home sales... maybe wait to list it til after the new year?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
First, you probably need to adjust your idea of what your house is worth. The worth is really whatever someone will pay for it. So, the value of houses in your area have probably just gone down, it's not that they're selling for less than they are worth, and if that's the case, like someone else suggested, get your property taxes lowered to reflect that. I'm not trying to be mean here at all, I'm just saying it because the most important rule in actually SELLING your house, and not just having it sit on the market is to price it right, and not too high. So, really try to be realistic about what houses in your area are worth when deciding on your price.<br><br>
Personally, I would start going to open houses, and not get realtors involved just yet, but that's just me. It's very possible to sell your own house or go with a flat-fee realtor who will put it on the MLS (you still have to pay the buyer's agent with this route, but you do save about 1/2 of what you would normally pay in realtor's fees). If you get realtors involved early, they will bug you to DEATH about listing it for you, and explore your options before you agree to pay them the 3% to be your agent. We did the flat-fee realtor route, and it worked out very well.<br><br>
It really depends on how other houses compare to yours for what you need to do to fix it up. When we sold ours, we had 2 houses with the exact floorplan as ours in our exact neighborhoos. So, we could directly compare. One was definitely nicer than ours with upgrades we didn't want to try to compete with (hardwood floors, really nice mature landscaping), and one was on par with ours but with things that were a bit off about it (one room that was bright blue, another that was pink, the kitchen wallpaper was really country and outdated). So, we decided the best thing we could do was to list ours slightly under the price of the one that had the upgrades, and to make sure it was as neutral and clean as possible to compete with the one that was "slightly off". It worked out very well for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts