Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new carseat for ds2. He is a big baby, over 20lbs at 7.5months. I want to keep him safely harnassed for as long as possible, and the britax carseats seem to have the highest weight in a five point harness (correct me if I am wrong). The marathon and decathalon have the same weight limit, so what's the difference? Which should I get for my big boy?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The Decathlon is very similar to the Marathon, in fact it's the same exact shell. The differences are: it includes additional padding and an adjustable crotch buckle to make it fit an infant better.

For an older child (say, above 6 mos or so), I don't think any of that is necessary and the Marathon would do just fine. In fact, if your child is on the larger side, a Marathon would still be just fine even if he was younger. At your son's weight, yeah. . I think the Marathon would work out A-OK.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the decathalon has additional removable cushioning so that an infant can fit better. I bought one the other year not because the padding, but because the print was nicer than the marathon.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I'd go for the boulevard.... has side impact protection AND a knob to change the strap height so you don't have to re-thread.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I'd go for the boulevard.... has side impact protection AND a knob to change the strap height so you don't have to re-thread.

-Angela
:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just had to return the marathon. It has what I see as a design flaw. The crotch strap is too close in too the back of the seat. My cloth diapered seven-month old was sitting on it where it comes out of the bottom. I gopt a Roundabout instead... a few more inches on room... I read a reveiw that other moms have noticed the same issue....

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It's not a design flaw I don't think. I've heard the same thing about the wizard and the boulevard (both of which I've had/have) and it's just the way it's designed to fit. You just squish their little butts back a bit and the straps fit low on their hips.

-Angela

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
The measurements I have show the RA and MA have the same crotch distances. My 3yo can sit in the MA just fine and the crotch stap isn't even close to his crotch. You have to remember most crotch straps are too far away from the child allowing them to slide forward and out of position and often puts the buckle part on their stomach and not on the crotch where it belongs.

Anyways, I'd get the Boulevard too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts