Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some research on Floortime, so know more or less what it is - is there any substantial difference between it and "Play Therapy"?

If so, could you guys share with me some of those things? Thanks

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
"Play therapy" is a general catch-all term for a huge variety of intervention styles for kids with all sorts of issues. It can include working on being a sexual abuse survivor, having big attachment issues, or a wide variety of other issues.

Floortime is a specific style of intervention specifically for children on the autism spectrum that falls into the big category of "play therapy" but is a style of DSP - Developmental Social-Pragmatic intervention that focuses on teaching within a framework of social interaction that is developmentally appropriate and focuses on communication development.

It's not just sitting and playing with the child. There are specific ways in which you help the child develop and enhance communication skills while learning how to play.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have taken dd to play therapy for anxiety. The therapist was a registered play therapist, and it did work in reducing her anxiety (intense fear of thunder). The therapist did not have training in autism and I think was sometimes confused by how to respond to dd's repetitive play, however it did help us. We've never done floortime but in my limited understanding, it is designed to help children, particularly those with autism, in communicating and interacting with others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.