Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend try to offer me rice crispie marshmallow squares and tries to give my daughter egg salad without asking. We are vegan. Not cool.
: Oh well we certainly won't eat at her house any time soon.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
FWIW, before I started reading about veg*n, I would've offered a vegan rice krispy squares. Maybe your friend just needs some guidance. Maybe offer to bring your lunch to her house?

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
What is un-vegan about rice crispie squares? Granted they are not a healthy food but are there any animal products in them?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVanessa
What is un-vegan about rice crispie squares? Granted they are not a healthy food but are there any animal products in them?
I believe it's because the marshmallows have gelatin in them which is made out of animal something or other.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll just post the dictionary defenition for gelatin (which is what marshmallows are made of primaraly) :"A colorless or slightly yellow, transparent, brittle protien formed by boiling the specially prepared skin, bones, and connective tissue of animals used in food, drugs, and photographic film." provided by dictionary.com. I just refer to it as :puke

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant
I believe it's because the marshmallows have gelatin in them which is made out of animal something or other.
ground up animal hoof

·
Registered
647 Posts
My papa boiled carrots and potatoes with beef and then offered me the veggies.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
when i was in the hospital having dd1 i was so hungry having not eaten yet that day and the nurse told me i couldnt eat anything but beef broth, i told her i was vegan and explained it a little. she seemed to get it.... then returned with..... green jello...
i told her i couldnt eat it because its gelatin. she didnt know what gelatin really was. i told her. she said "oh i didnt know, i thought it must be a vegetable...its green."
:
its scary to think these people are responsible for lives.

oh and getting offered fish and bird gets really annoying... i really think thats why alot of us are so derisive to 'pescovegetarians' and 'pollovegetarians'...
well besides the paradoxical stupidity.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
poxybat said:
when i was in the hospital having dd1 i was so hungry having not eaten yet that day and the nurse told me i couldnt eat anything but beef broth, i told her i was vegan and explained it a little. she seemed to get it.... then returned with..... green jello...
i told her i couldnt eat it because its gelatin. she didnt know what gelatin really was. i told her. she said "oh i didnt know, i thought it must be a vegetable...its green."
:
QUOTE]

Wow. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian (just a thread-crasher
) but even I know Jello is made from gelatin (and know what gelatin is made from).

And to think it's a vegetable "because it's green" is just DUMB.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Wow. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian (just a thread-crasher
) but even I know Jello is made from gelatin (and know what gelatin is made from).

And to think it's a vegetable "because it's green" is just DUMB.
yeah i was shocked into silence when she said that. it kind of makes you wonder how she even functions in society...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Don't forget to put Kosher gelatin on your list of no-no's. Instead of animal parts, it has a fish component.

I have been offered rice that has chicken broth in it because it only has broth, not chicken.

I don't always eat sour cream when out because sometimes it contains gelatin.

The Mexican layer dip that was served at the graduate student ceremony went untouched by me. Oh, it looked veggie enough, but it had refried beans, most certainly having lard in them. Of course, people said, "wow, look at all you can eat here." Um, yeah, bread and crackers.

I am rude. Even at friend's homes I will pick up a package of whatever is for snack or dinner and read it if it isn't something homemade. Usually, burried deep is something I don't eat.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirlee
I am rude. Even at friend's homes I will pick up a package of whatever is for snack or dinner and read it if it isn't something homemade. Usually, burried deep is something I don't eat.
pffft thats not any more rude than thier inability to read it beforehand so they actually have something to offer you. or not telling you to bring something...

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
This thread made me giggle. Ah, fond memories.
:

Chunky meat pasta sauce. Gravy. Rabbit. ("Because they're only tiny animals." That was in Paris.)

My sister's (ex-)boss followed her around once for a MONTH during every lunch, asking her if what she was eating was vegetarian. (After my sister had tried to explain to her what being vegetarian meant.) "Bananas? Are those vegetarian? Peanut butter? Can you eat that? Carrots? Really??"

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthmama369
My sister's (ex-)boss followed her around once for a MONTH during every lunch, asking her if what she was eating was vegetarian. (After my sister had tried to explain to her what being vegetarian meant.) "Bananas? Are those vegetarian? Peanut butter? Can you eat that? Carrots? Really??"
this reminds me of when my sister went vegan, our cousin was following her around trying to trip her up... i was so proud of her when she sat there glaring at him trying to enjoy her plain dry toast. until i informed her the 'butter' he was getting all excited over was earth balance
it only lasted a few months though...

and one time he was bothering her about some juice she was drinking. he said 'eeew gross. is that vegetarian juice?' my sister without missing a beat said 'of course its vegetarian! what kind of disgusting juice are you drinking that has meat in it!?'
man i miss her being vegan...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poxybat
my sister without missing a beat said 'of course its vegetarian! what kind of disgusting juice are you drinking that has meat in it!?'

which reminds me of another gross thing i was offered....
my dad's girlfriend heard i liked tomato juice and brought me...
CLAMATO! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww!!!!!
i think she was being passive agressive, im sure she knew since my dad introduces me as "my oldest daughter layla, shes a vegetarian"

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I can totally relate to this topic, and commiserate with those of you that were offered either sneaky or not so sneaky nonveggie foods.

When I was in the hospital for ds birth, the "dietician approved" vegetarian meal was chicken. I had dh get me take out or cook for me the rest of the stay. Did not want to take the risk of eating other nonvegetarian mystery foods.

I have made homemade marshmellows for my dc because we went to an outing were they were the only kids that did not get to have grocery store marshmellows (even some of the people that claimed to be vegetarian were eating them).
At a similar preschool potluck, we stopped eating anything, but our own dishes because one mama told me her dish was vegetarian... but when I ask what it was she started listing ingredients, which included beef broth.

Finally, when I was in college, I worked at an art center. We would have pizza with our staff meetings. They did not want to spend extra money get an vegetarian option for me, and told me I could just pick the meat off, right? Uhmm, no. One of dh's coworkers offered him chilli, stating it was vegetarian, but dh could see the chunks off meat in it and pointed them out. We think that he thought he was being funny, but all it did was irritate dh and make him trust the guy less.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Oh, and a big pet peeve, pizza ordered with only half peperoni! Then there is the sandwich shop that opened up near my office. They cook the veggie sandwiches on a separate grill ,though eggs are usually cooked on it as well, but the kicker is that the bread they use comes from a bakery that still uses lard!

I so wish I could open a REAL veggie friendly restaurant. Better play Powerball.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts