Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this thread would be funny. Now I know we are all bright mama's and that's why we're here.

But what is the dumbest thing you've done as a tired mama?

For me I just came home from the hospital with my ds, with my free "formula driven diaper bag" I liked the bag and figured I'd just throw out all the junk, I wouldn't be using. Well the bag came with a "guide to breastfeeding" book, which I thought was ironic and I even knew the research in it came from a formula company hoping I'd fail at breastfeeding. Anyway I told my sis (fellow MDC member) about this stupid book and she told me to throw it away, as we wouldn't want some ignorant fool to read it and believe that information to be accurate.

For some *stupid reason I didn't immediately throw it away.... Now fast forward, I don't know 1 day, mixed with percocet (from the c/s) and exhaustion. I found this "guide to breastfeeding" book on my coffee table. Not knowing where it came from I picked it up and started to read it. Now what's ironic is when I flipped thru the book, amazingly I somehow turned to the section "are you producing enough, do you need to supplement" I started reading and realized omg, I'm not producing enough. Now my ds was nursing all the time, but thought I'd mention my thoughts to my dh and mom. They both looked puzzled when I explained I don't think I'm making enough. They asked why I thought this and I explained well I was reading...... I immediately was interrupted from both and they realized I read the "formula guide". As soon as I realized what I did, my dh snatched the book and tossed it in the garbage.

I still think of this and giggle. And yes he never got enough breast milk, that's why he's 7mths old and weighs 25 lbs, from just breast milk....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Struggling with mastitis, I make up the millionth hot water bottle of the day to lay over my breast, lay down in bed and pour HOT water all over my shoulder. I hadn't put the stopper in. At all. My MIL came over and found me with a hot water bottle on my boob, and a bag of ice on the opposite shoulder.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well, a couple of weeks ago, the whole family was leaving and I was hovering over dh to be sure he got everything we needed in the car and such, and walked out with him to put ds1 in the car. As I walked around to get in the car, he looked at me and said Are you forgetting something? I left ds2 in the house!!!!!!!! DUH.

And then yesterday, I was grocery shopping with both of them for just a couple of things really quick - did the self-checkout, got my change, pushed the cart away and heard some lady say "Um, did you want your groceries?"
Oops.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
I don't know about the dumbest thing, but here's what I did last night...

DH has been working a late second shift, getting home at 1:30 am. We have a queen sized bed that we are normally crammed into, but I've been taking advantage of the few hours of sleep I can get on DH's side of the bed. Don't get me wrong, I love sleeping next to DS, but it's nice to have some room once in a while ya know?

So, DS and I normally sleep belly to belly so he has all-night access to the mama-milk buffet
but during my DH-free time, I roll away from DS and face the other way. Last night I curled up with DH's comforter and fell asleep. I woke up an hour later and couldn't find DS. The comforter was bunched up beside me and I FLIPPED OUT because I thought DS somehow got underneath it. I was frantically searching through this stupid comforter for my kid.

DUH! He was right next to me on my OTHER side...where he ALWAYS is!
I felt like a complete idiot.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by matts_mamamama
Well, a couple of weeks ago, the whole family was leaving and I was hovering over dh to be sure he got everything we needed in the car and such, and walked out with him to put ds1 in the car. As I walked around to get in the car, he looked at me and said Are you forgetting something? I left ds2 in the house!!!!!!!! DUH.

And then yesterday, I was grocery shopping with both of them for just a couple of things really quick - did the self-checkout, got my change, pushed the cart away and heard some lady say "Um, did you want your groceries?"
Oops.
This happened to me YESTERDAY. I was just buying wipes and I couldn't seem to figure out the debit card machine. I was such a wreck at the checkout!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty-mama
Thought this thread would be funny. Now I know we are all bright mama's and that's why we're here.

But what is the dumbest thing you've done as a tired mama?

For me I just came home from the hospital with my ds, with my free "formula driven diaper bag" I liked the bag and figured I'd just throw out all the junk, I wouldn't be using. Well the bag came with a "guide to breastfeeding" book, which I thought was ironic and I even knew the research in it came from a formula company hoping I'd fail at breastfeeding. Anyway I told my sis (fellow MDC member) about this stupid book and she told me to throw it away, as we wouldn't want some ignorant fool to read it and believe that information to be accurate.

For some *stupid reason I didn't immediately throw it away.... Now fast forward, I don't know 1 day, mixed with percocet (from the c/s) and exhaustion. I found this "guide to breastfeeding" book on my coffee table. Not knowing where it came from I picked it up and started to read it. Now what's ironic is when I flipped thru the book, amazingly I somehow turned to the section "are you producing enough, do you need to supplement" I started reading and realized omg, I'm not producing enough. Now my ds was nursing all the time, but thought I'd mention my thoughts to my dh and mom. They both looked puzzled when I explained I don't think I'm making enough. They asked why I thought this and I explained well I was reading...... I immediately was interrupted from both and they realized I read the "formula guide". As soon as I realized what I did, my dh snatched the book and tossed it in the garbage.

I still think of this and giggle. And yes he never got enough breast milk, that's why he's 7mths old and weighs 25 lbs, from just breast milk....
What is so sad is that the majority of women attempting to breastfeed would not have realized that there was anything wrong about the information or questioned its source!!

Over at another (mainstream) board I post at, it seems almost everyone "doesn't produce enough milk" and "has to supplement".

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just the other day I hooked up the breast pump (I am donating milk...have a ton of milk in surplus) and I notice after a couple minutes letdown happens and for some reason my foot...is...getting...wet.
Then I look down and realize I forgot to hook up the bottle. So, I am just pumping all over the floor. LOL
Tonia

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Not me, but DH...when the babe and I were first home from the hospital and I was healing from a c-section, the babe woke to eat and I told DH who went and got a piece of bread for the babe.
He was sleep deprived, obviously.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
The other night I let the dogs out for their last pee and then I went to bed and left them outside.
Dh came home from work in the morning asked how the dogs were out if dd and I were still in bed. I felt so bad!

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
I left the diaper bag, which contained all of my little lady's things, as well as my billfold/checkbook and cell phone, in the shopping cart at Wal-Mart and didn't realize it until we arrived at a different location about 20 minutes later. Amazingly, someone I know found it and spotted my mom when she went back to look for it. I did this just last Wednesday. Yeah, I'm still getting used to being a single mother of two!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
DS is ff due to my lack of milk production, so I warm the cold formula in a cup in another cup of warm water. When it was warm, I took the cup to the couch and got ready to feed him. Then I looked at the cup and started laughing!

That was earlier this afternoon!

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I was pregnant with DS#2, I locked 2 year old DS#1 in the car while it was still running. Fortunately it was in my mother's driveway. I was hysterical (thanks to prego hormones). My mom had the sense to call the fire department - they graciously unlocked my car for me in just a few minutes and DS was fine. Talk about embarrassing - I think it was the only time I have ever locked my keys in my car - had to be with one of the kids inside...

Capemom

·
Registered
427 Posts
In retrospect, now that I am getting sleep, the dumbest thing that I did when I was soooooo sleep deprived was stay up late instead of getting some sleep!!!!!!
I was trying to spend time with DH and have some time awake w/o the children, but it made me crazy

Ok, that and driving with our VW pop-up camper up
: . I didn't even have a nagging gut feeling that something was amiss, but was astounded when I walked back to the van after shopping to find the tent up. WAyyyyy toooooo tired!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The first time I left the house on my own with both kids after ds2 was born, I forgot my house keys. I'd taken them off b/c they were bulky and I usually ran quick errands with just the baby while dh was home. So, it didn't even dawn on me until I got back home that I didn't have a house key. So, I left the car running, locked the doors, and broke my bedroom window to get in. We don't have *neighbors* or a cell phone and I was too tired to think to drive to a payphone and go get keys from dh at work.
It was an old window anyway.
:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamohumm6
When my first-born was 4 days old, I called her Amanda.

Her name is Samantha
:

Don't feel bad. I called my baby daughter Maria "Meringue." Meringue was the name of a CAT I had five years ago!

·
Registered
204 Posts
When the baby was less than 3 months old, I tossed my keys in the driver's seat to free up my hands, opened the back door, closed the front door, put the diaper bag behind the driver's seat, took the baby out of her sling, put her in the carseat, closed the back door...

Did you guess yet? Yep. Locked the baby in the car, with my car keys. A baby who didn't like to be not-held for more than 30 seconds. I pressed my nose to the glass like a caged zoo animal, ran inside to the bookstore I had just been in and asked the ladies there what to do, they didn't know. They asked if I could call someone. I'd call my husband, but his work number was on my Palm Pilot, which was LOCKED IN THE CAR. They suggested the fire department. Long story short, the fire department came sirens a-wailing, found me frantically trying to make comforting faces at my baby (which is hard to do when you're panicking), they pulled out their tools and I'm thinking "are they going to use the Jaws of Life on my car? Is this about to get really expensive?" They use a thingy that prys the window out, and poke the automatic lock, presto, open car. The baby never really freaked out, and the firemen were very kind to me. They had thought, when they got the call, that they'd be dealing with an abandoned baby or something, and seemed relieved to find out it was a slightly feather headed mother, not a rock-stupid mom who had deliberately left baby to go have lunch or something. I gather (from what they were saying) that happens sometimes.

Anyway. Got full use of my tax dollars that day. And learned that my car is seriously easy to break into. Oh well.

Oh, and I learned that car keys go in my hand, or in my pocket. One of two places. Never anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.