Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a Graco Nautilus because I thought it harnessed to a super-high weight, but it says it only harnesses to 65 pounds. The Evenflo we have now (Titan, I think?) supposedly harnesses to 65 pounds but DS is going to outgrow the top slots any minute now. Does the Nautilus have higher top slots or something? Or should we just return it? DS is 21 months and about 36-37 pounds, but he is all torso.

· Registered
6,419 Posts
The Titan only goes to 50 pounds, but the chances of a child reaching 50 pounds while still fitting in the seat height wise are extremely low.

The Nautilus has much higher top slots, and will last MUCH longer.

· Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! We hadn't taken it out of the box yet, but now I guess we will.

ETA We really ought to get a Regent at some point the way this kid grows, but I think the Nautilus will hold us for long enough to save for one!

· Registered
6,300 Posts
The Titan goes to 50# and has about 15" top slots. My oldest would've been out of it right at 3 and 35#. The Nautilus has about 18.25" top slots and a 65# limit. AJ is still in it and he's 5.5yo and 45#.

· Registered
1,641 Posts
: to what everyone else said.

I'm not a big fan of the Titan because there's such a huge discrepancy between the max weight and the max height according to the slots. They did much better with the Triumph Advance.

· Registered
4,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
ETA We really ought to get a Regent at some point the way this kid grows, but I think the Nautilus will hold us for long enough to save for one!
We had considered the Regent, but decided it wasn't worth the extra expense. The Nautilus goes to 52" while the Regent goes to 53". The 1" difference we figured would only last us at most 6 months. If you really feel that the extra inch is important than I'd return the Nautilus and get the Regent instead.

· Registered
1,641 Posts
Maximum height limits are just guides.

A seat is outgrown by height RF when the top of the head is 1 inch from the top of the shell.

A seat is outgrown by height FF when the shoulders are over the top slots or when the tops of the ears reach the top of the shell.

When deciding between seats you really have to try the child out in the seat in your car. Different kids fit differently in different seats in different cars. (Ok, that was a lot of the same word but I don't know how else to explain it.)

· Registered
4,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckC View Post
When deciding between seats you really have to try the child out in the seat in your car. Different kids fit differently in different seats in different cars. (Ok, that was a lot of the same word but I don't know how else to explain it.)
Very true, but that only works if Britax Regent's are available locally (which they weren't) and cost/time in seat is a serious factor (we got ours a few months ago for our not quite 4 yr old).

· Registered
6,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
We had considered the Regent, but decided it wasn't worth the extra expense. The Nautilus goes to 52" while the Regent goes to 53". The 1" difference we figured would only last us at most 6 months. If you really feel that the extra inch is important than I'd return the Nautilus and get the Regent instead.
Actually, in terms of torso room (top slots) the Regent is 1.5" taller. That means 3+ inches of overall growth.

· Registered
7,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
He definitely should be fine in the Nautilus for at least 6 months. Thank you for the explanation!
I bet it'll last longer than that. What is his torso height? My kiddos are all torso, and my nearly 4 year old still fits in the nautilus with lots of growing room. His torso is about 17" and he's 42" tall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.