Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truth be told I haven't been very concerned about this issue in the past; I've used CPFs and covers with both dcs, and by the time I'm done with the new baby the CPFs will truly be of dust rag quality! I sun them sometimes, but it's hard to keep up with that, especially in the winter.

With this new baby I have ventured out a bit and bought some fitted diapers - a first for me! I'd like to resell them after I'm done with them, but that's not going to happen with the staining I seem to get. Is there a secret to stain-free diapers that I've missed out on? Please help!

Here is what I do:

1) Wash poop off with mini-shower (I skipped this step until ~6-7 mos. though)
2) Throw in dry pail
3) After ~2-3 days, wash in cold with Method detergent (1/2 capful)
4) Wash in hot with nothing

I used 7th Generation detergent for a long time too, but that seemed to make the staining worse. We also have hard water.

Help!
TIA!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The sun, yes, but also HOT water. Really hot water. Since we don't have a lot of dirty diapers (we also practice EC with our toddler), when we do have one I soak it in hot water for a bit as it is removed. Any stains that aren't gone through the wash will definitely disappear with the sun.

(However, if you use pocket diapers, the hot water may not be a good idea; the elastic in our pocket diapers cannot withstand hot water.)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have some spray stain remover that I spray on the dirty spot right before throwing it in a dry pail.

This is my wash method:

Shake poop off, rinse in toilet if it's really sticky.
Spray with stain remover and toss in dry pail.
Cold rinse (important for stain removal, IMO)
Hot wash with half capful of Purex Free and Clear
Extra rinse
Dryer

I tried to sun out the stains with my first dd (prefolds) and it never really worked. They would lighten a tiny bit, but that's it.

Some people disagree with the stain remover, but it works great for stain removal (I don't have any stains) and I have not seen any ill effects on the dipes as of yet.

HTH!

Sara
dd 9-10-00
ds 4-21-06
edd 8-14-07

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My dipes will be free for shipping by the time number three is done with them
But if stains dont bother you I wouldnt worry about it too much until you are actually ready to sell the dipes. At that time, a one-time heavy oxyclean with a good sunning should make them look their best --without wearing the fibers or fading caused by doing it regularily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.