Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago while I was pregnant with dd2 I was told to take some colloidal silver because I 'thought' that I had thrush. I wasn't sure about taking it so I asked a friend for information on colloidal silver. She searched the internet and got information on how beneficial it was for pregnant and nursing women. She then decided to order some and the company that she called said that they no longer sold it... so she asked to speak with one of the naturopaths there and he said that it was NO GOOD... his words were "that stuff is poison" .

: WHAT? huh?

So I am back to square one and now (5mo later) we really do have thrush/candida (because of the antibiotics from the c-section). Does anyone know about the controversy on this. Is it safe or is it poison???? Help.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I know a lot of people, especially if they like to use herbal and natural remedies, really like colloidal silver. I have family members that spray it in their throats and swear it reduces infection. Personally, though, I don't believe the risk of using it is worth the benefits. I have some, but only use it externally, like for sunburns. My favorite herbal store also doesn't sell it or recommend it. One link that led me to be wary (and led me to look for more info about it):

http://homepages.together.net/~rjstan/rose2.html

and various links on her website, especially this one:
http://homepages.together.net/~rjstan/rose6.html

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What an eye opener, thanks for the links Nemmer. I had done a quick search on the forums but all I read were good things about colloidal silver. I was surprised to see how bad it really is. It seems like not too many people know about it's effects, maybe we should spread the word. I'm thinking of taking a copy of the information you sent to the naturopath who suggested the use of colloidal silver.

Alison77 & Cobluegirl- thanks for your advice. How much gse should I take per day and for how long? Oh, and is there a way of making it easier to swallow??... because the taste is quite "unforgetable" if you kwim.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I just buy it isn capsule form and have not problem swallowing it. As far as the CS goes...I think it moderation is works great. I think that if you over do it is when you find the toxity of it....just like most things.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cobluegirl- I didn't know that gse came in capsules. A friend gave me her almost full bottle of gse because the couldn't even take a sip at it without gagging.

About the CS- I was thinking the same thing... as long as you don't over do it everything will be okay. But the story about the lady that got Agyria after taking only 4g of CS really makes me wonder if the moderation theory just doesn't apply when it come to the use of CS.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The problem with stories like that is that they don't tell you what else was going on in their lives...she may have already had a toxic amount of metal in her body causing her to react the way she did.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I started to use CS when I was having a lot of UTIs but DH did some research and he said to stop using it.

For the yeast - I recommend taking probiotics supplements and using tea tree oil topically where the infection is. On the skin, you can brush some diluted oil. IN the vagina, you can use tea tree oil suppositories ( get them at the HFS). When I get some thrush on my tongue I brush my teeth at night and then put a drop of pure oil on my toothbrush, scrub my tongue really well, spit, and leave the rest on the tongue overnight.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I am 7 months pregnant almost and researching colloidal silver too.

I tend to agree with the fact that the people with argyria overdid it. you can die if you take too much vitamin C or drink too much water too. people in the u.s. overdo it on EVERYTHING it seems.

my accupuncturist said that the correct does is 3-5 parts per million. most of the people with argyria were taking 500 or 1,000 ppm and for long periods of time (sometimes every day for 3 years!).

I am concerned with all the controversy so its hard to do it, but am consulting with my midwife about it today when she calls me back. I just want to knock out this yeast before the baby comes so we don't pass thrush back and forth indefinetly.

My body type is the type "yeast love" according to my accupuncturist, and I'm sure its true since I had my first yeast infection vaginally in elementary school. My mother has never had one. Go figure.

XOXO
B

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Colloidal silver is perfectly fine for acute use-I just wouldn't use it as a daily supplement which some people do. I put it on my toothbrush everynight (which is very different than ingesting a tablespoon a day), and it's great for bacterial or fungal infections. I have used it on my breasts for yeast and on dd's bottom as well. It also has been used in our house for my son's penis infectionand cleared it immediately. Sore throats also respond quickly to it. It can be used in the eyes safely, though some feel more comfortable diluting it. ITA with pp. Just don't overdo it.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Cooloidsl silver is pretty much impossible to take in toxic amounts. you have to take ALOT! That is why it is COLLIDAL. COLLOIDAL minerals, I believe are teeny tiny particles suspended in water and readily absorbed. fabricated stories or weird stories such as the gray lady are of such a bizarre nature that you really have to consider the source and what was really going on in her body at the time, and exactly WHAT KIND of silver she took!

that said, I would never buy colloidal silver in the store. It is a great virus killer and I can make it myself perfectly easy and cheap with my own generator at home

It is great for cleaning, colds, flus, sprays, wounds, you name it!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
And on a side note, thrush is simply a candida ovrgrowth not unlike a yeast infection and can be cured quite easily by not feeding the candida. Forget sugars or simple carbs for a while, and focus on lots of good bacteria, veggies, fruits, etc. Is is a symptom of something greater going on. Cure the root cause!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kakies
Pikkumyy- dd is 4mo she always has what looks like a thin white coat of milk on the insides of her cheaks. Is she too young for tea tree oil.
tee tree oil is not meant to be taken internally. I woud instead buy acidophilous/multidophilous capsules, open one, rub some with a drop of water and rub on the inside of her cheeks. Do several times daily until it clears. Whatever you do, don't take the stuff the doctor gives, it will make it worse!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu
weird stories such as the gray lady are of such a bizarre nature that you really have to consider the source and what was really going on in her body at the time, and exactly WHAT KIND of silver she took!
She doesn't even know exactly what was in those nose drops. She literally took them for years- perhaps ONE time it was refilled with something else that caused this?

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Probiotics or grapefruit seed extract. Both will work for a baby. For you, you do need to focus on a diet high in veggies and perhaps take some probiotics yourself, or some chlorophyll or chlorella to alkalinize your system and get rid of the yeast for good. Make sure you are washing your clothes with tto as well to kill the yeast on them.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
She doesn't even know exactly what was in those nose drops. She literally took them for years- perhaps ONE time it was refilled with something else that caused this?
Well, I know that when I make colloidal silver, it is very important that I use distilled water only. So, I am very carful to not wash the probes in anythuing except vinegar or hydrogen peroxide and rinse with distilled water. And I only use a glass jar, that has been washed in the same manner. If you were to use regular tap or even filtered, you could grow whatever else was in the water. So I guess a batch could've been tainted heavily-if not all?? You just have to know what you are doing, like anything else
MIL is the "expert' for me on collidal silver, so I tend to trust her for now.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I really appreciate your experience leila. it helps so much! its hard for me to think of taking any meds right now, but even a little hard to take colloidal silver because of the "gray lady" sites.

I have been on a no sugar no bread no simple carbs diet for almost 3 weeks now. Still see some pretty major outbreaks on my uvula and pharynx.

the accupuncturist thinks that I will not kill this yeast with diet alone but need something to actually KILL it. he said the diet will decrease it dramatically, but it probably will not be gone.

do you know of any studies about pregnant women and colloidal silver? if I wasn't pregnant, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

XOXO
B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts