Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand the infatuation w/these things. They are in all the natural food stores and some of the the crunchy, eco people are going over "to the dark side" and buying them. I phoned the company and these "plastic-like" shoes are NOT made of a natural material nor are they made of any recycled products. I asked them what they are going to do when these shoes start piling up in the landfills. Our babysitter is already on her 2nd pair. And to add insult to injury, they are made in my home state of Colorado and infecting our crunchy eco-friendly Boulder County culture.

Did I miss something? Set me straight if I did and I will humbly apologize.

cindi

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't get it either, especially since they're ugly as sin- but I don't find them comfortable either, and everyone else seems to. So maybe their supposed comfort makes up for the rest?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I live in the Southeast, and believe me, the Crocs are around here, too. I don't get them, either. Are they recyclable? Great for gardening? Chefs? Hospital workers? I dunno. All I know is that I have never been tempted by them in the least.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't think you missed anything. I've seen them on several people around here, and in a couple of stores....they remind me of some kind of ugly nurse-style shoe. I assumed there was something "crunchy" about them, it was really interesting to hear this was not the case. I would love to have another sighting, and just ask...."Why?"

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh, gawd...they are even WAAAAAAAAAAAY up here in Upper Michigan!! My BIL and SIL think they are the cat's pajamas!

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
They're in Texas too. I've seen a few people wearing them. I think people mistakenly think they are crunchy because they are like birks but maybe cheaper and trendier. I don't hate them because they are sorta like birks but I don't see the charm either.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Oklahoma too! LOL

I think they are shockingly ugly as sh*t. No thanks.

I am a full time student here and even all the sorority girls are wearning them....I don't get it at all.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't know mamas...........ds and I were at the mall today so I looked closely at a pair, and touched them....I didn't know they were so soft and squishy-ish, for a second I thought to myself, I bet those would be comfortable...
I quickly walked away before I got pulled over to the dark side.

But seriously, maybe people love how squishable they are?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Well I am not sure what is meant by "dark side" but can say that I like crocs.
I don't own a pair but everyone I know in Taos, NM has some and they love them. They are lightweight and breatheable (the kind with holes). All my crunchy friends swear by them. I'm not getting a pair just because I don't buy whatever is in style I get what is comfy and practical, which these may turn out to be for me.
Anyhow, I don't think they're ugly at all.

I just re-read the OP again and thought I'd add a question.
Do crunchy people only wear bio-degradeable shoes or recycled shoes?
Birks aren't any better and they require killing animals.
I guess I don't get the dark side connection.

·
Registered
842 Posts
do they get sweaty inside? would they be plasticky feeling in the cold? are they slippery in the rain? I think, ugly as they are, I might have to have a check it out at the mall. I can't afford Birks, and I'd love the stability of a heel strap. I need something I can wear in all this rain!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. Trying to digest all this new information that has opened up for me!
:
I have to say that I own a pair of Crocs....and that's what they are...A CROC!!! My feet sweat, they aren't comfortable, I own a pair and still don't see the attraction!!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
How funny! Dh and I always make fun of them! To us, they are gardening shoes, since we first saw them advertised years ago for such use. Then my very trendy sister got some and we burst out laughing, to her disappointment. Anyway, we think they look funny, but we figure clothing will keep looking funnier to us as we get older. Esp. when our kids start wanting trendy clothes!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Are Crocs the rubber mule style shoes? I have a pair for the garden so I don't track mud into the house (I leave them outside) or ruin my other shoes. I'd never actually wear them out in public. They're bright green plastic for goodness sake!

·
Registered
929 Posts
birkenstocks would be mostly biodegradable. the leather, the cork, the buckles etc. i don't know what the sole is made of, but i know you can get them resoled- i had a pair that i wore almost daily that lasted 10 years.
crocs i believe are made of some sort of vinyl or plastic- they would not be biodegradable unless they were made of a natural rubber material. i have no personal experience with them, so i don't know exactly what they are made of, but i thought i would point out that birks are fairly earth friendly. and you can get them in birkoflor- a recycled material that does not require killing animals.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have Crocs and love them. They are good for gardening and for boating, very slipproof. They are ventilated well, at least my style is, and very lightweight. I have the Birk gardening clogs as well, and actually prefer the Crocs to them.
As for the crunchy factor..I have been occasionally breaking the rules of crunch lately. The Crunch police have not shown up yet, which is a good thing. I think I might be ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts