Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is four years old. Has been dry all night since long before she was out of diapers.... until yesterday. Wet herself during naptime, okay, everyone has an accident every now and then. But then last night, she'd start crying in her sleep and wet the bed, not once, not twice, but five or six times last night!! I finally put a diaper on her after the fourth time. She's not running a fever, and tells me that nothing hurts. I just don't know what to think. Could it be UTI? There's definitely something wrong, but I have no idea what it could be. Why would a child suddenly lose control of her bladder like this? This is the same kid who always holds her pee for a very long time, then goes lots all at once, even when she was still in diapers she was like that. But now she's peeing every hour or two, on herself??? Please, someone, please tell me this has happened to you!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I would suspect a UTI. Whenever I got them it never hurt, just felt like I had to go to the bathroom all the time. The first time I got one, I started peeing blood clots before I knew anything was really going on.

It could be a weird nothing and pass. If it's still going on tomorrow, I'd consider getting it checked out. Sooner if you see any blood in her urine or if she indicates there is any pain.

:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
and in the meantime maybe give her vitimin C ( acidic like cranberry juice) and restrict sugars as much as possible ( even fruit) and i dont know what else, but kind of treat it like UTI and see if that helps?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is no smell (I am extremely sensitive to smells) her urine is clear, not cloudy, dark, or bloody. She has no pain, no discomfort, and when she's awake is not peeing any more than normal for her. I noticed her vulva was a little pinkish when I changed her diaper this morning after she woke up. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's some sort of allergy??? She drank a bunch of chocolate soymilk yesterday, but has never had any reaction to soy or chocolate before (but has never had quite the quantity as she had yesterday, either). She also went "swimming" in our wading pool, but it was filled with tap water and had nothing else added to it (so besides the sunblock, wasn't any different than a bath in the tub). I'm trying to get her to drink more water today, but she's not cooperating. I don't know what else to do. I will definitely take her to the doc if it gets worse, if she starts having accidents during the daytime, or if I start to think there's something really wrong. she's a bit quieter than usual, but other than that, is her normal self today now that she's awake. It was just a problem when she was asleep! ACK

stress.... hmmm.... maybe. We are adjusting to getting up earlier since DH has recently been switched to working day shift. She's been fighting the earlier bedtime, so I've been getting her up early in the morning regardless of how late it was when she finally went to sleep. Then we stayed up Saturday to watch the fireworks, and threw it all off balance. Maybe that's all it is.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
If sleep is being changed that could impact. Many bedwetters theoretically sleep through the sensation of needing to pee. She may be doing that. So...as she adjusts her sleep schedule if it improves you can possibly chalk it up to that...

Good luck, hope she returns to "normal" soon.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all so very much for answering my questions!!

She must have just been overtired the night before last. No more problems last night. I never thought that our changing sleep schedule might be causing it, thought it seems like a no-brainer now in retrospect. thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts