Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh and I are considering moving to Ithaca in a few years. We're going up there in a few weeks to check it out to see if it seems like a fit for us. But I'm concerned about the weather.<br><br>
We live in Maryland and our weather seems to be the same as in NYC if that helps anyone compare. My dh lived for a while in Rochester when he was young and if the winters in Ithaca are like that, I'm going to have to look for a place to move.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Well, I lived in Maryland for 7 years and Ithaca for 5, so I guess I have a good basis for comparison.<br><br>
Winters -- yep, can be long, cold, snowy, and wet. Maybe the passage of time has softened my memory but it wasn't unbearable. I don't think it ever got as bad as it did in Rochester or Buffalo. My dh lived in Rochester for a couple of years after graduating from Cornell and winters were worse there.<br><br>
OTOH, winter sports are great, because there's actually snow that sticks around rather than melts right away, KWIM? Having grown up in places like Norway, I remember as a kid LOVING winter for the skiing, sledding, etc.<br><br>
And the big bonus -- summers are MUCH more pleasant than they are in MD. Summer and fall in Ithaca are simply spectacular, and MD can't hold a candle to them!

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I've lived in both Rochester and Ithaca (and Syracuse and Potsdam). I spent the first 18 years of my life in a small town 25 miles east of Rochester, so the same distance from Lake Ontario, which is the lake which creates the "lake effect" that makes Upstate NY winters hard. After 4 years in Potsdam and 5 years in Syracuse, I spent 10 years in Ithaca.<br><br>
Of the 4 places, Ithaca and Potsdam were the best. In Rochester (and Syracuse, to some extent), the sky was a grey, damp blanket for months. Depressing; a perfect setting for SAD. Potsdam was COLD, but always super SUNNY.<br><br>
In Ithaca, there may be clouds, but there is almost always a place where you can see the sun peeking through the clouds. Yes, it snows, but not as much as Rochester or Syracuse, which both get more lake effect. The FingerLakes temper the local climate around Ithaca somewhat. In the 10 years I lived there, there were a couple of winters that were super-mild. One winter, I never even wore my boots. My Dansko clogs kept me out of what little bit of snow there was! (I will also say that I used the same pair of winter boots for 10+ years (1992-2006), so it's not like they got so much use that I needed a new pair every year. I finally got a little fashion conscious this past year and bought a new pair.)<br><br>
The municipal services know what to do when it snows in Ithaca - they plow the snow! (and salt it) For some reason, Rochester seems to salt a lot, without necessarily getting rid of the snow first, which makes for a lot of slippery slush.<br><br>
Despite the major hills in Ithaca, I survived the 10 years in Ithaca WITHOUT 4-wheel drive. I will admit that it was easier to deal with the hills when I had a standard-shift car. I got stuck ONCE, and I couldn't get home in the middle of the night after a huge snowstorm. (I had gone to Syracuse to get a friend from the airport, who had a super-late arrival because she was stuck in Cleveland with the same snowstorm.) The police drove us home. I got my car, a short walk down the hill, the next day. HOWEVER, I will admit that it was more my TIRES that were at fault than the snow or the hills or the lack of 4-wheel drive. The tread on them was nearly gone. I got new tires the next day.<br><br>
Of course, there are the usual winter sports in/around Ithaca - downhill and XC skiing, ice skating, ice climbing, sledding. I lived close to a nature trail where I could go XC skiing after work. These are the things I miss here in Ohio. There is snow, but not enough to really do anything with, and the skiing around here looks pretty poor. (I haven't tried to downhill around here yet, as I was pregnant through my first winter here.)<br><br>
I agree that summers and fall in Ithaca are the best. I miss it so much!<br><br>
Best wishes to you as you decide!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts