Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
All the eggs we get from our chooks are fertilised coz I have roosters. I do have ones I breed & eat but I also have others which are pets. I'm one of the few people I know who has had a breeding rooster actually die of old age. One of my pet roos, I actually rescued from the pot in my veg*n days. The way I look at it is if people like me didn't have pet roosters, they'd all be in the pot. I think the frankenchicken hatcheries mince all the boy babies live in a big grinding machine to get rid of them. To have eggs, you need chooks & to have chooks, you need roosters. However hard you try, you end up with about 50% roosters when you hatch eggs. So they do have to go somewhere. I will always rehome mine to non-pot homes if I can. Chooks are happier too if they are able to live more naturally which is a group of hens with a rooster.

On a more nutritional note, I do have a friend who always keeps a rooster even tho' he does not breed chooks. His theory is that fertilised eggs are easier to digest. Not sure how provable or scientific that is.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
When we got a rooster I looked into this. When the eggs are fertilized, they don't develop into baby chicks. The development is suspended until there are enough eggs laid for the hen to lay on. If you've got laying hens, they probably aren't going to stay on the eggs for 3 weeks straight. This is what needs to happen to the eggs for them to develop into chicks.
I'd say a grey area, and if you really aren't comfortable with it for ethical reasons, it's up to you.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
From what I've been able to find, there doesn't seem to be much nutritional difference, if any, between non-fertile and fertile eggs. That said, we usually buy fertile eggs. Is the theory, in general, that by buying fertile eggs, you are supporting a farm/chickens that are living as close to their natural lifestyle as possible?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
living as close to their natural lifestyle as possible?

That's an excellent point! Now I don't know about chickens, but in humans, the release of oxytocin can make us happier, so maybe hens will enjoy life a bit more with a rooster around!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.