Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two women at my smallish church have new babies, one is 3 months. the other 2 months. One is intelligent, very well informed, AP and everything, the other more mainstream but we're rubbing off on her. Both of them have given their babies ice cream! I found this out last Sunday. The AP one said she knows it's bad but couldn't help sharing a taste! I have to admit I let my 4 month old have a taste of banana once when he lunged for the one I was eating, but Ice Cream?!? Strawberry, no less! Why is this so common, when it's one of the worst things you could give them? Cow milk, sugar, eggs... Ack.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I've let my baby have tastes of ice cream since she was about 5 mo.
: I don't think it's the end of the world. Just tastes. If they were giving them a whole bowl to themselves, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. But, still considerably better than the soda pop in the bottle I've heard about. I don't think ice cream is one of the worst things you could give a baby. I think a Snickers bar would probably be worse.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Ice cream!?!? thats terrible, we have felt bad about eating it in front of ds.....but we still would never give him a taste until over 1yr!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn
Two women at my smallish church have new babies, one is 3 months. the other 2 months. One is intelligent, very well informed, AP and everything, the other more mainstream but we're rubbing off on her. Both of them have given their babies ice cream! I found this out last Sunday. The AP one said she knows it's bad but couldn't help sharing a taste! I have to admit I let my 4 month old have a taste of banana once when he lunged for the one I was eating, but Ice Cream?!? Strawberry, no less! Why is this so common, when it's one of the worst things you could give them? Cow milk, sugar, eggs... Ack.
One guess: they are less concerned about the risks of giving their children ice cream than you are.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I have given DS a taste of ice cream before too. I don't think I'm a horrible mom. In total he has had maybe....1 tsp.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It really depends how you define a taste. A dab of ice cream on the lips is different than a spoonful in the mouth. Just a dab is not going to do anything to a baby.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I don't think there is any evidence that a taste of ice cream (or any other dairy/egg) will contribute to allergies. Bowls of it, maybe.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
DD, 9 months, just ate a few bites of a frozen DQ cake last night.
: It was my moms birthday and really hot out and we were sitting by the lake eating the ice cream cake and she just sorta lunged at it with her hands and got it all over and then proceeded to lick her hands and arms. I did give her maybe 2 spoonfulls of it. I am really careful about what she eats that I don't mind a little treat every now and then.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep, me too...I gave my ds a taste too. He gets a taste of just about everything i guess. Would never "Feed" it to him or anything...but he has had a taste...no biggie in my book.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My daughter, 7 months, has tasted ice cream 3 or 4 times, total eaten probably less than an 1/8 tsp each time. She's tried lots of things, like this morning munching on some graham cracker crumbs as I was eating them. I guess I'm an awful mom...
:

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
i agree with the OP. i wouldnt do it. in fact, i didnt do it. my roommate gave her 5 mo old dd a paci dipped in iced tea and i nearly had heart failure. LOL
:

·
Registered
712 Posts
This is much less baffling than my SIL giving her 1 week old baby a taste of this chocolate cake/chocolate pudding/cool whip concoction that a friend of her mom's made.
:

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
"Just a taste" may not contribute to allergy risks in every baby, but it will lead to them developing a taste for sweeter, richer things. Try convincing a baby who's had tastes of ice cream and other goodies to eat plain oatmeal or pancakes with no sweetening. It won't work, and next thing you know, you have a toddler who needs sugar and syrup on everything.

When my daughter was about 7 or 8 mo, my %&^# aunt fed her a crumb of homemade chocolate chip cookie. Just a little dab of the cookie part. Made with butter. She pooped green & bloody for 3 days. She was that sensitive to dairy.
:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a health/nutrition book from the 50s that describes ice cream as the 'prefect food'. It has dairy, fat, and calcium which all growing kids need!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paquerette
"Just a taste" may not contribute to allergy risks in every baby, but it will lead to them developing a taste for sweeter, richer things. Try convincing a baby who's had tastes of ice cream and other goodies to eat plain oatmeal or pancakes with no sweetening. It won't work, and next thing you know, you have a toddler who needs sugar and syrup on everything.

When my daughter was about 7 or 8 mo, my %&^# aunt fed her a crumb of homemade chocolate chip cookie. Just a little dab of the cookie part. Made with butter. She pooped green & bloody for 3 days. She was that sensitive to dairy.
:
Not much I could do about this. We got pics of Olivia at 2 months being fed cotton candy, and again at 3 months. So she knew what food was before we got her and had a fit if she didn't get to sample.

·
Registered
969 Posts
A friend of mine gave my DS (then about 3 months) his pacifier dipped in DQ ice cream cake at a birthday party. I was there but didn't see it happen. I found out about it a month later and was FURIOUS! I don't care what other people do with their own children, but don't do it to mine! She knew I'd be mad and purposly didn't tell me...I found out by accident. I was mad that she did it, but even angrier that she knew I would be mad and did it anyway. (Keeping it from me proved she knew I'd be mad.) My best friend knew about it and also kept it from me. They think I'm over reacting, but my kid, my rules. So, now I watch them with eagle eyes whenever they're holding him. Plus, on a totally selfish note, I wanted to be the first one to give him ice cream and see his face (several months from now.) I choose to be more careful with ds than most of my friends (ok, obsessive), but I expect them to respect my wishes.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasciate
I have a health/nutrition book from the 50s that describes ice cream as the 'prefect food'. It has dairy, fat, and calcium which all growing kids need!
Ha! I told myself this the first time I was pregnant until I gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks. Then I had to recite this mantra: "Ice cream is not a nutritional suplement" over and over.

What's funny about this post, to me, is that I just did something like this last night. We were enjoying chocolate peanut butter soy ice cream on the porch last night and I put a little melted ice cream on my finger and rubbed it on my 2 month old's lips. Then I started thinking, "What have I done! Peanuts! Soy! Oh my!"

When her lips didn't swell or anything I calmed down and laughed at myself. There are much worse things one could do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts