Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In maryland it says 5 years and under OR 40lbs or less. So, by LAW (not what's the safest) if I have a 35lb 6 year old, does he have to be restrained? What about a 45lb 4 year old?

·
Registered
985 Posts
In CT the law used to be that they had to be in a car seat until they were 4 OR 40lbs. It was whatever comes first. Unfortunately I learned this first hand when I worked for a school district that consulted their lawyers and went by the letter of the law for tranpsorting preschoolers.

We had 3 year olds who were over 40lbs that were not in any seat what so ever. We had 30lb 4 year olds who were also not in a seat.

The district had a change of administration and the policy has changed.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
sorry, but Kamilla is wrong.
If it says OR, then only ONE of the criteria have to be met.
EITHER 6 years old, OR 40 pounds.

So, a 45 pound 3 year old technically doesnt have to be in a carseat.
Neither does a 30 pound 6 year old.

not safe....but not illegal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
If it says OR, then only ONE of the criteria have to be met.
This part is right. But since they are talking about the requirements for the kid to be IN the seat, that means if the child is either 5 years or under OR under 41 pounds, they need to be in a seat. So a 30 pound 6 year old does need a seat by law, as does a 45 pound 3 year old. If it had said they need a seat until either 6 years or 40 lbs, then the reverse would be true.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I'm sorry...my bad.
Maryland does indeed phrase their law in that way...my state does not.
In my state, any ONE of the criteria (8 yrs old, 80 pounds weight, 4"9' tall) being met exempts a child from car seat usage. I did not realize MD's law was worded differently.
I apologize.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
The law is just worded wrong for what they really want to acheive.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently the law changed. Much better now!

Maryland's new child safety seat law went into effect on October 1, 2003. The new law requires that all children younger than six years of age, regardless of weight, or who weigh 40 pounds or less, regardless of age, must be secured in a federally approved child safety seat* according to the safety seat and vehicle manufacturers' instructions. For example, a 7-year-old who weighs only 37 pounds, or a 3 ½-year-old who weighs 42 pounds, would be required to use child safety seats (this includes booster seats). The child restraint must be right for the child's size, age, and weight. If the vehicle is registered outside of Maryland, drivers must follow Maryland's prior law of younger than four years, regardless of weight, or 40 pounds or less, regardless of age.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.