Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyones baby go round 'searching' out fluff/leaves/dead flies/general crap and devouring it???

Its driving me crazy. Its like he only sees this stuff, even when I put a toy in front of him.. he goes for the miniscule little fluff peice and spends ages trying to catch it with his not-so-perfected pincer grasp.

I have to vaccuum everyday (not that I mind, nice having a clean house) but was just wondering if this is normal. When I see that hes got something less than edible in his mouth I (try) to gently open his mouth and get it but he screams blue murder and keeps his mouth tightly closed, so I generally end up finding it in his nappy
:

Am I the only one? Please tell me this is a phase???

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think it's pretty normal. Apparently crap is yummy!

I will put Ella on a clean floor and she will spot one tiny half-millimeter piece of paper on there and spend a lot of time trying to get to it, pick it up, and eat it! Today I put her on the floor in the kitchen and there was a big sweet potato on a lower shelf. I thought this would be relatively safe--nope, she found the one place where it was developing a sprout, and within a second she whipped it off the sweet potato and stuck it in her mouth! She's only been really mobile for a few days now and still doesn't do real cross-crawling, but she is suddenly wreaking havoc! I can only imagine it's going to get a lot worse!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
We have a saying in this family: "Build up those immunities!"
: I have read in the past that you should consider the baby's mouth to be a sort of third hand. Mouthing things is a vital part of exploring things for babies.

It should go away around...Goodness, I'm hoping age 5!
J/k, although even my oldest sometimes scrounges up days-old things from the crannies of her car seat & tries to eat them! If it's any consolation; my kids are practically never sick.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I sure hope it's totally normal, because my DD does it constantly. We vaccuum the carpet almost every day but she still manages to find little bitties in there to munch on. I don't worry about it that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts