Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be the first to say I love co-sleeping.
Love it. Love it Love it.
Wont go to bed without her.

But I am so tired of being a human pacifier!
DD grabs handfulls of skin while nursing (I have tried silky blankets, etc nothing works-she will only nurse if she has a handfull of skin) I have bruises from this
I cant fall asleep while shes latched on, Im uncomfortable. I hate the side lying position, Sure, it works but Im so uncomfortable I cant relax.
DD is nursing every hour if not more at night. SO I have her pinching my skin, latched on, using me for a pacifier, and Im in a position so uncomfortable I cant even relax let alone sleep.

I love nursing, I love co-sleeping, but Im tired and at 2 am a bottle and an empty bed statrs to look real appealing. I get so aggravated becasue she wont just SLEEP.
Then I wake up in the am and feel like the worst mom in the world.

These mixed emotions are drivingme nuts. I know shes only going to be little once, but I have had a sleepless pregnancy and DD is almost 10 mos and Still not sleeping for more than 3 hours ever. Im single, cranky and sleep deprived. I dont know how much more I can take. But then I fell all guilty for feeling this way!

How can I fix this??? I want to be a happy breastfeeding co-sleeping mom! not a miserable one!

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Oy!! I completely feel your pain. My dd did this same thing to me after about 5? months. My advice to you is to tell her no. At 10 months she is certainly smart enough to understand that. I would also recommend the No-Cry Sleep Solution book. It is fairly new but supposedly teaches babies to sleep without CIO. I would have scratches and bruises all over me especially on my ribcages. I may get stoned for saying this, but nursing shouldn't be torture for you, especially not at this age. Tell her firmly no no and undo her fingers. Thump her fingers away if need be. It's a matter of survival at this point, and your nursing relationship could be at risk. Pregnancy adds a whole new dimension to it all, so try to get her to sleep with the help of the book and good luck!!! You really need your sleep!!!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
You can also post in the breastfeeding forum for help.

I handled pinching the same way I handled biting. I just won't tolerate it. My oldest would pinch my arms so hard I was literally black and blue with bruises. When she started digging her fingernails in too, it had to stop. Period. So, what I do when they pinch, or when they bite, is to tell them no and gently unlatch them from my breast. No strong reaction, no jumping, no screaming, don't make it a fun game for the baby (yes, they think it's fun to make Mommy scream in pain, at least mine do). If they still want to nurse, I calmly remind them, "no pinching" and let them latch back on. If they bite or pinch, I immediately unlatch them again and tell them "no"...

If you aren't comfortable and cannot relax, maybe you aren't letting down, and she isn't getting enough milk, so she nurses more often at night? It might be worth a try to get up and nurse her in a position that you do feel comfortable. Do you have a recliner? When mine are having growth spurt or anything else that causes all-night nurse-athons, I just have to sleep in my recliner while baby nurses.

Anyway, if something is not working, try something different. Just because some expert, or some book said you should do something a certain way, doesn't mean it will work for you and your baby. All babies are different. That's the real trick to being a parent, is learning what works for your very individual little person.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.