Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a difficult time breastfeeding. I can't pump enough. I dont leak and i'm never engorged. I've been to see a lactation consultant and i'm taking fenugreek. I honestly think I still have a low milk supply!!

When I was breastfeeding my ds, i was spraying and leaking everywhere!! how can I go from that to this?

i'm seriously frustrated. I'm comparing now to then.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Is it possible you're anemic? Did you lose a lot of blood during/after delivery, or were your iron levels poor in the later part of your pregnancy? I had similar issues to yours and they resolved as I healed from labour.... I'm pretty sure it was due to anemia.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did lose a large amount of blood during delivery. Should I be taking my iron pills????

I went to the LC last Friday and she helped out. When I got home I was feeling engorged and when I pumped I got 3-4 oz out. That was the last time. I was so excited then. Im just not coordinated for this. Im trying really hard. I remember when I was breastfeeding my son i was always engorged and leaking and spraying. Not this time around. Does stress affect milk production? I lost blood during the delivery. Does that affect anything? Could I be anemic?

The baby is still fussy and when I give her a bottle she is content. I know the boobs are always constantly making milk but I really do think mine aren't. They are still always soft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by butterfly_mom
The baby is still fussy and when I give her a bottle she is content. I know the boobs are always constantly making milk but I really do think mine aren't. They are still always soft.
I'm not sure how much you've read, so I don't mean to be rude or assumptive of your knowledge by saying this, but I just want to say that giving her a bottle, especially when I contents her, could be really bad in the long run. She should be at your breasts those times. Pumps, even good ones, are not equal to babies. If you are concerned about her not getting enough, can you afford an SNS? Borrow one from your LC? As far as your son, I wouldn't worry too much. My breasts get softer each baby. With my third now they are always soft, never spraying or leaking as in the past, and I never pump like I used to, and yet she is huge and satisfied. Have faith, keep her at the breast, set aside the bottle, and maybe put away the pump if you can (again, forgive my presumptions - perhaps you need to stockpile milk for work in the future?), because it's just stressing you out. Anyway, maybe I was a help, but you most likely read all that before. Hugs and good luck!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
YES YOU SHOULD BE TAKING YOUR IRON PILLS!!!!!! And eat lots of food that contain iron too. Absolutely blood loss (actually the resulting anemia) can affect milk supply. Not necessarily in everyone, but it was the only thing that made sense in my case.

And, because I stuck with bf'ing as much as possible and supplemented ONLY as much as my DD needed, and always bf'd first, once my iron levels were back up to normal (4 mo pp) I was able to bf exclusively with no problems. I also pumped like a fiend. Please, if you are supplementing, PUMP!!! It is not as good as a babe, that is for sure, but - and a lot of people who have never had to deal with this just don't get it - you cannot always put your baby on the breast! Either they refuse because there is so little coming out or they fall asleep on you. But if you pump, especially between feedings, you will be stimulating your supply more. Pumping between feedings is exhausting but if you can do it even a few times a day it will help a lot. Then you can give what you pump before you give formula and reduce the formula use a bit.

(Sorry for the shouting at the top of the post. But really - do take your iron pills.)

·
Registered
272 Posts
While I did have engorgement issues with my first baby, I never had any with subsequent babies. I didn't even use breast pads for the last three. Maybe your body just remembers what to do and doesn't have to take so much time to adjust.

And yes, iron levels and stress affect my milk supply.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
not leaking does NOT mean a supply problem, by itself.
not being engorged, ditto.

There is tons of information about milk supply at http://www.kellymom.com a site run by an IBCLC. Good luck!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Why are you pumping instead of nursing? Output for a pump doesn't tell you how much you're making and the pump does not stimulate you nearly as well as a baby. I would focus on getting rid of the bottles and getting baby to the breast.

-Angela

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
You might try an iron gluconate supplement instead of iron pills (Floradix is the one I take) as it is more easily absorbed and less upsetting to the stomach. Definitely anything that is taxing the body, such as stress or anemia or exhaustion, can affect supply.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
For the iron, I took ferrosequels. Much easier on the stomach. The last thing a mom needs postpartum is to be constipated! The ferrosequals never backed me up.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I don't leak, never get engorged, and yet make plenty. your body might be different this time around.

I agree with those who said not to use bottles for now. that will make your baby nurse less and therefore decrease your milk supply. the best way to have the right amount of milk for your baby is to nurse on demand. pumps are not a good indicator of milk supply.

the best way to know if your baby is getting enough is diapers, because what goes in must come out. as long as she has at least six nice and wet diapers per day, you do not need to supplement with bottles of anything.
I know it's hard not to worry, but I bet your supply is fine. I'm anemic genetically and make lots of milk. However, it is still a good idea to take your prenatal vitamins. won't hurt.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Why are you pumping instead of nursing? Output for a pump doesn't tell you how much you're making and the pump does not stimulate you nearly as well as a baby. I would focus on getting rid of the bottles and getting baby to the breast.

-Angela
Oh, Angela, I love your posts (most of the time
) but have you ever really had to deal with a newborn and supply issues? It is sooooo not that easy. No, the pump does not stimulate you as much, and it is a PITA and I'm sure if the OP could she would certainly choose to have the babe on the boob instead of the nasty pump - but if you have a sleepy newborn who won't nurse if you wake her up and you are forced to deal with her 3-hour nursing "schedule", a little pumping between nursing sessions helps your supply A LOT!!!! Also a lot of newborns stop sucking when the flow rate decreases too much and they don't empty you out - you need to pump after feedings so your boobs get the message that more is needed.

Also, maybe there is another reason the OP is pumping - preemie in the NICU? Major latch problems? Who knows?

That having been said - pumps can be poor indicators of output if you are not getting the letdowns you would with a baby. Are you an "experienced" pumper?

ETA: The only real way to know if you have a supply problem is to look for signs that your baby is not getting enough - ie, if you are not seeing 6-8 wet diapers (at least 2 oz of pee) per day and your baby is not gaining weight, then you have a supply problem. If this isn't the case, then you are fine.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
That's why I asked why she's pumping
If there are supply problems, then YES, pumping is a must, in ADDITION to nursing. The babe needs to be at the breast as much as possible.

-Angela

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
right, you can pump and freeze the milk instead of giving bottles, so the baby will nurse just as much.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Engorgment can actually be bad for supply--when your breasts get engorged it means your baby is not needing the amount that is being made, and your body is then signaled to slow down production. Your body's probably just regulated well to your baby's needs, so there's not a lot extra.

The only good indicators of supply are looking at baby's output. Does the baby have enough wet and poopy diapers? Is she gaining weight? I am nursing my fourth baby and my boobs never seem full, they never leak, I cannot pump worth a darn--it honestly takes me hours to get a couple of ounces. Yet, my supply is just right. As long as your baby is gaining and outputting, I wouldn't worry.

If you do want to try to increase your supply, the best way is to nurse your baby more. Wearing your baby while shirtless and co-sleeping are great ways to get lots of frequent, supply-building nursing sessions in there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Engorgment can actually be bad for supply--when your breasts get engorged it means your baby is not needing the amount that is being made, and your body is then signaled to slow down production. Your body's probably just regulated well to your baby's needs, so there's not a lot extra.

If you do want to try to increase your supply, the best way is to nurse your baby more. Wearing your baby while shirtless and co-sleeping are great ways to get lots of frequent, supply-building nursing sessions in there.
: This is great advice. Not being engorged is NOT an indication you arnt making enough milk. Some babies have fussy periods/phases and sometimes we never find the reason. I wouldnt think it was because she wasnt getting enough.
I second the advice about increasing nursing sessions, as this is definately the best way to up your supply.

Best of luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've always heard that it's normal not to feel engorged after a few months..and to stop leaking..your boobs have adjusted. i go through phases...my breasts are soft most of the time..i wasn't leaking but just started to leak again when i have a let down but barely. maybe you're not drinking enough fluids..i've noticed when i drink more water or drinks w/ electrolytes like Smart Water or Recharge that my breasts feel fuller. have u tried power pumping to build up your supply? 10 minutes pump 10 minutes stop ..then repeat a few times. also try this tea at www.breastea.com i think it works. keep taking your prenatal and yes stress does affect your supply big time and your let down. remember to get rest..and eat well and nurse nurse nurse if you want to build up your supply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts