Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-
Here's what's going on. All 4 of them have had a cold, which began about 2 weeks ago. It was mild in each of them, with the "sick" part only lasting a day or so. But it seems to be one of those where the snotty nose lingers on... Thursday afternoon my oldest son (6) started acting "weird". Lethargic, distant--just like he does just before he spikes a fever. No fever ever came, but he did skip dinner and went to bed early--not like him at all. The whole time he claimed to feel fine, just tired. All day friday he was fine, but friday evening he threw up. Immediately afterward he said he felt fine and was hungry. So he ate a bowl of cereal, kept it down, and has been acting well ever since, though he is still sniffling. Yesterday, everyone was fine, but the girls snotty noses seemed worse. In the afternoon, one of my twins coughed a couple of times, then threw up. Within a half-hour the other one started the same thing, and they have continued every couple of hours through the night. Now, the baby (6mos) is coughing. None have fevers or are complaining of hurting anywhere. They are hungry and thirsty but can't keep anything down. This morning the girls are pale and fussy, but last night, even as they were throwing up, their color was good and they were cheerful.
Pertussis is going around our community, as is strep, and my throat is sore this morning. The older 3 have had DTaP shots, but my little one is only partially vax'd.
Any ideas? Ride it out? See a doc? I have to admit the Pertussis idea has me very worried... Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
This sounds to me like a vague viral illness- not influenza or pertussis. I think you just need to ride it out and let your kids' immune systems do their job. Just keep offering lots of fluids and maybe some extra vitamin C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.