Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Healthwise, I mean. I'm not doubting that organic is best, and I buy either soy milk or organic milk.
My MIL is coming today, and I know she'll say something about organic milk not being worth the cost, and that we should just drink regular. She is all about drinking cow milk- it's like she thinks it's the most essential thing for human life. (I don't think its necessary at all, but I'm trying to get ds to drink ANYTHING but juice all the time, and he will rarely drink water. So I'm trying to transition using milk.)
I know that factory farms are bad, from an ethical perspective. But that argument doesn't mean anything to her.

The biggest reason I can think of (healthwise) for drinking organic as opposed to non-organic, is added hormones. But we are in Canada, and hormones are illegal here for any dairy cow (or, if they are needed, the milk is supposed to be dumped).

So, are there any reasons that I can give her, as to why I won't buy non-organic milk? (and reasons to give to my dp. We're broke, and he's not too keen on buying organic milk, which costs over twice as much as non-organic, and even costs more than soy. He buys it, because it matters to me. But I'd like to give him good reasons.)
I know I could just say that it's my choice, but I'd like an intelligent reason (and I know there are some).

TIA!!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
At this point, I'm concerned that milk labeled "organic" isn't really. Some of it may be, but from what I've read on FDA labeling regulations, food and dairy products can be labeled organic even if the animals involved were fed non-organic feed. To me that's
- I mean, that's the whole point!

So I guess I'm not being very helpful, but ideally, organic milk would be free of hormones, antibiotics, synthetic feed, etc, and maybe that's what you should tell your MIL. That you'd rather your milk be pure than have who-knows-what in it.

Of course, in my ideal world, dairy cows would eat grass instead of corn, but I don't think that's covered by "organic" either.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Of course, in my ideal world, dairy cows would eat grass instead of corn, but I don't think that's covered by "organic" either.
If cows are being fed grains, and the milk is pasturized, it doesn't really make much difference (other than the hormones and antibiotics).

Cows are meant to eat grass. Organic could mean organic grains. I personally drink raw milk from grass fed cows. If I didnt' drink this, I would probably avoid milk altogether. I am not a soy person at all and other than cereal, my house doesn't use much milk.

Good luck with your MIL

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
foods that are higher up in the food chain - such as dairy and then meat - have the highest amount of pesticide residue

still, most organic milk is ultra pasturized and homogenized too - if you feed any pasturized milk to a calf they would eventually die from malnutrition.

we drink raw milk as often as we can get it. if not, a local dairy has just regular pasturized that is not ultra pasturized or homogenized and it's organic. we use very little milk either way.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I don't know where in Canada you are, but in BC, "organic" milk means that the cows MUST be on pasture for at least 16 hours a day, which means that they have a predominantly grass-based diet, which is nutritionally optimal for cows, which means that they will produce nutritionally optimal milk.

That having been said, there are areas, like Vancouver Island, and probably parts of southern Ontario or the maritimes, where most dairy cows, even the non-organic ones, are on pasture for much of the time anyway.

The concern with grain-fed, confinement cows (which you should assume is where your milk is coming from unless you have convincing evidence to the contrary) is that they are unhealthy. Grain is not a natural food for cows and while they can live on it, they don't live well or long. Their guts are a breeding ground for the more dangerous strains of e.coli and their life spans are considerably shorter than pasture-kept cows. They frequently have mastitis and the milk is often contaminated with pus and blood. It doesn't matter, of course, because the milk is pasteurized. THAT'S why I don't drink milk from dairies that I know use confinement operations.

ETA: doh, just checked your siggy and noticed you're in Burnaby. If you can, support the Avalon folks. They seem to be doing a really good job, cow-wise. Otherwise, if you can get Island Farms milk, it's a good second choice. A lot of the Island Farms contributing farms have well-marked farms around the Cowichan Valley and I frequently see cows out grazing all over there. Doesn't mean they don't get some grain, but at least a good portion of them are on grass.

ETA again: you don't have to worry about ultrapasteurized, we don't seem to do that in Canada. Don't go for "microfiltered" milk though - the processing on that is kind of horrendous.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I don't know where in Canada you are, but in BC, "organic" milk means that the cows MUST be on pasture for at least 16 hours a day, which means that they have a predominantly grass-based diet, which is nutritionally optimal for cows, which means that they will produce nutritionally optimal milk.
Wow, that's good to know! That definitely makes organic worth it!

Quote:
ETA: doh, just checked your siggy and noticed you're in Burnaby. If you can, support the Avalon folks. They seem to be doing a really good job, cow-wise. Otherwise, if you can get Island Farms milk, it's a good second choice.
Awesome info. Thanks! I will definitely look for those brands- I'm going to write it on the grocery list right now!!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
between this thread and the one in Lactivism, I am suddenly really dying to move to Canada

Did you miss the part about raw milk being entirely ILLEGAL here? Seriously, it's more illegal than pot. It's crazy.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh, and Deva33mommy, I forgot to add - the Valley Pride brand is also Avalon, just under a different name for some reason. It's what I drink when I drink milk, which is rarely, and it's what I give DD. It seems to be the most widely available. Avalon branded as Avalon is only available in glass containers, as far as I can tell. I like the glass, but they charge $1 deposit on them.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Oh, and Deva33mommy, I forgot to add - the Valley Pride brand is also Avalon, just under a different name for some reason. It's what I drink when I drink milk, which is rarely, and it's what I give DD. It seems to be the most widely available. Avalon branded as Avalon is only available in glass containers, as far as I can tell. I like the glass, but they charge $1 deposit on them.
We went grocery shopping last night, and found the Avalon. I was wondering what the difference is in their organic compared to their "conventional" milk. They are both in glass bottles. Is there really that much difference? Is it worth spending the extra dollar per liter for the organic? (which, would be $4/gallon, right?)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
We went grocery shopping last night, and found the Avalon. I was wondering what the difference is in their organic compared to their "conventional" milk. They are both in glass bottles. Is there really that much difference? Is it worth spending the extra dollar per liter for the organic? (which, would be $4/gallon, right?)
I honestly don't know. But the conventional milk is unhomogenized, at least the stuff at the store near me is. Which is good too. I've been meaning to e-mail the company and ask them. They're very responsive.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Quote:
Did you miss the part about raw milk being entirely ILLEGAL here? Seriously, it's more illegal than pot. It's crazy.
it's illegal in the state where i live here in the US too. in fact i'm having a hell of a time trying to find any that doesn't involve me driving almost an hour into the next state over (where it's also illegal, but there are at least some cow shares available!).

and the requirements to call your commercial milk "organic" are pretty much a joke here.

and oh yeah, you just reminded me - your marijuana laws are a little saner there than here too. yet another reason to relocate

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
it's illegal in the state where i live here in the US too. in fact i'm having a hell of a time trying to find any that doesn't involve me driving almost an hour into the next state over (where it's also illegal, but there are at least some cow shares available!).

and the requirements to call your commercial milk "organic" are pretty much a joke here.

and oh yeah, you just reminded me - your marijuana laws are a little saner there than here too. yet another reason to relocate

Well, come on up then!
We like immigrants, too

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I read somewhere (can't remember where, so I can't link
) that diary products contain up to 10x the amount of pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers as conventionally grown produce. That is a lot of chemicals 1 one glass of milk.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We get grass fed organic milk. No hormones, no bgh, no milking pregnant cows. I've been hearing more about standard dairies milking pregnant cows, how this really introduces inappropriate hormones into the milk. Additionally, I nursed while pregnant and it was darned painful, I wouldn't do that to an innocent cow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.