Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, when I make refried beans... basically I just boil some pintos with a chopped up onion and garlic clove for-ev-er. And then I saute some onions in canola oil... add in the beans.. .mash them up... and then add in salt, pepper, and sometimes cumin.

What's your method?

· Premium Member
11,014 Posts
I chop and saute an onion, a green pepper, a jalapeno, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, then stir in some red kidney, pinto or black beans and cook until they are warm and the vegetables are soft. I still in a little sea salt, a spoonful of cumin and chili powder and a squirt of lime juice and then mash or puree it all. If tomatoes are in season I might throw in one of those, too

· Registered
286 Posts
I know it sounds weird, but I don't actually use oil in mine. I know the name is 'refried,' but it tastes the same to me and I don't like to add oil to anything anyway. so I just boil the beans in water only. After an hour, it's just right. Then I drain most of the water, add some minced onion, garlic, some salt, stir it well, cover, and let it sit for a while for the flavors to meld. I don't like the beans completely mashed, and they end up just right for me from just the stirring.

· Registered
2,840 Posts
I make my beans(whatevers on hand) sautee onion, garlic, sometimes a lil celery, with olive oil OR chili oil(if its dh and I eating them), chilis out of the garden...then add the beans, and mix with either a bit of salsa, broth or a diced tomato,then throw in the blender with chili powder,cumin, cayenne and if needed more garlic(always needs more garlic!)

· Registered
45 Posts
I use an iron skillet with a touch of oil, add a can of drained kidney beans and 1/4 cup of water. Then I cook for about 3 minutes adding garlic powder, chili powder and sometimes smoked paprika. Mash the beans and then add 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste. If it looks dry I add a bit more water and then cook for 10 minutes or so. Simple, quick and tastY!

· Registered
5,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post
I chop and saute an onion, a green pepper, a jalapeno, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, then stir in some red kidney, pinto or black beans and cook until they are warm and the vegetables are soft. I still in a little sea salt, a spoonful of cumin and chili powder and a squirt of lime juice and then mash or puree it all. If tomatoes are in season I might throw in one of those, too

This is how I make mine. I use TONS of onions, garlic, peppers in almost everything!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.