Mothering Forum banner

Are you ok with your kids skinny dipping?

• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Yes, up to a certain age

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes, depending on location

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2 boys and 1 girl
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topics was brought up in another thread so I figured I would have keep the topic organized in its own thread.

For my family we have allowed the kids to do it when remote camping or in our backyard pool. It tended to happen more when they were younger but still happens from time to time now that they are older.

What's your family's view on skinny dipping?

· Registered
28 Posts
When they are little, I say go for it. I did say location matters as some people have bad intentions in the world but in nature (lakes, streams, ocean), amount trusted friend/family, or at a private pool go for it. Once they are old enough to make own decisions, I think its about their comfort level. Meaning if they just strip down and its an safe space we allow them to do it until they say otherwise.

As a parent, I still enjoy skinny dipping (as long as the water is warm). My girlfriends and I just this weekend hot tubbed in the nude and it was so much fun.

· Registered
44 Posts
No problem at our house, we've had an above ground pool out in the country when they were growing up and no one in site anyway. We've never been that uptight about nudity around the house anyway. For a while in her late teens and early twenties our daughter liked to lay out topless and no one was ever bothered by it.

· Registered
24 Posts
We always allowed them to strip down or sometimes we did it for them when super young and they NEEDED to be in water and we didnt have a change of cloths. Now that they are older, its child driven at the right safe locations.

We have a very old family cabin built in the 1930s with no running water. We have a stream that has a nice swimming hold outside of it and we often bath/skinny dip in it--parents included.

· Registered
362 Posts
Here's a related, but different question:

If you're skinny dipping and have to pee... obviously, if you're at a house, go inside.

But what about if it's in nature? Just swim a ways away and pee? Go onto land and find a private area?

· Registered
2 boys and 1 girl
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If you're skinny dipping and have to pee... obviously, if you're at a house, go inside.

But what about if it's in nature? Just swim a ways away and pee? Go onto land and find a private area?
My two younger children will go right in the water but my oldest hates the sensation of peeing in the water for some reason and insists on peeing off to the side.

· Registered
24 Posts
My two younger children will go right in the water but my oldest hates the sensation of peeing in the water for some reason and insists on peeing off to the side.
My son was the same way. We would be at the beach and I would say lets just go in the water and he couldnt. I grew up on boats so we learned real quick you pee in the water (NO POOL or HOT TUBS) but lakes, rivers, oceans is fine. On my uncles boat we girls were taught to put a hose inside our suit and just pee. He had a hose with water so you could pee and nobody see it plus wash it off.

· Registered
362 Posts
My son was the same way. We would be at the beach and I would say lets just go in the water and he couldnt. I grew up on boats so we learned real quick you pee in the water (NO POOL or HOT TUBS) but lakes, rivers, oceans is fine. On my uncles boat we girls were taught to put a hose inside our suit and just pee. He had a hose with water so you could pee and nobody see it plus wash it off.
A hose in the boat? At the farm, when the kids are in bathing suits, one trick is to sort of conceal the whole thing (usually while kneeling down) and sticking the hose inside a bathing suit and then peeing when the water is turned on. (Better for girls this way than boys who are fortunate enough to wear bathing suits that look like shorts.)

On the boats, what we usually do is lean off the back or just jump in. Some of the younger boys have been known to just stand at the back of the boat and pee off the side.

· Registered
44 Posts

I really don't see why it would matter where they pee, the only reason to be hesitant about doing so would be about exposing themselves in public. If they're skinny dipping it really doesn't matter at that point.

· Registered
362 Posts
I really don't see why it would matter where they pee, the only reason to be hesitant about doing so would be about exposing themselves in public. If they're skinny dipping it really doesn't matter at that point.
Nude beaches typically have rules that you must go to the restroom to pee. I'm guessing it's in the name of basic hygiene. I've never been to one, but I assume that peeing while swimming is also banned.

If it's just immediate family or close friends, it may be a different story if you pee in view of others.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts