Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think mine is my stand mixer and my sewing machine.
I love love love that stand mixer....I try to do much stuff homemade and it's such a time saver. It's paid for itself over and over.

The sewing machine...I make lots of stuff for the home and kids and although sometime I could get the same thing for less, I know the quality I make is better and the whole sewing as therapy thing! I'm saving tons on a shrink

Oh and my food processor. I got it free from my mom and I ordered and extra bowl. I use it every single day and am not sure how I did stuff before. It makes bulk cooking a breeze! Love that thing!

I'm trying to find a breadmaker from a thrift store and start making our own bread.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I would have to say it's a tie between my breadmaker and my computer
I save so much money researching purchases and comparison shopping, using Freecycle, shopping on eBay and the TP, buying coupons etc. My breadmaker has saved us so many fast-food meals because I use it to make homemade pizza a LOT (right now, in fact) and I use it to make rolls and bread that serve as snacks all the time. Yum!

I wish I knew how to sew. I have a good machine, but no time to learn right now. I think that would save a lot too!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ours has to be the espresso machine and the burr grinder. I think we get a bag of beans for $10 and it lasts almost two weeks. I generally make us coffee everyday and have for the last three years. I was unsure if we would end up using it that much but it has proved to be a good investment!
Lisa

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I'd say my breadmaker - I got it as a gift and I haven't priced it, but I'm guessing it costs probably $1 for a loaf?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
RICE COOKER!!!!!! We had a really crummy one and I went and got a nice Japanese one from Costco, and a big bag of good bulk rice. What a $$ saver! I make rice every day and have it with yogurt and jam, avocado and sesame seeds, beans, dinner. I love my rice cooker.

Then there's my cloth menstrual pads. I have a collection, most of which I bought over 10 years ago. Granted, with pregnancy and nursing I haven't used them for 4 out of the past 6 years, but it saves going to the store and having to spend $$.

Finally, I really like my power washer. My back porch looks so much nicer now.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd have to say my computer- I can do a good comparison shopping before going shopping, when I'm in a "shopping mood" I can do my online "window shopping" and wait to buy things- on ebay I put items into my favorites rather than bidding on them right away, and on other sites I can bookmark the individual items I'm considering.

Also, without my computer I woudln't have access to Freecycle!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have to say my computer. I like to window shop and find the best deals so when i actually have the money, i am confident i've found the best price possible.

·
Registered
765 Posts
sewing machine, definitely. i've made cloth diapers for the babies, cloth menstrual pads for myself, a few clothing items, home decor items -- all done with a $100 singer. i LOVE my sewing machine.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, the internet. Considering you can get coupon codes/discounts for practically any store...and it's so great for comparison shopping! I wish wish wish I'd had it during college when I struggled so badly...could have gotten cheaper school books, EVERYTHING. It's my greatest money saver by far.

But...I wish I had a freezer. I think that would save me some money!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MissLotus a freezer is a great cost server! I am able to pickup sales on stuff and also freezer meals are stored so that we don't get tempted to eat out on the days that life is so busy. Love the freezer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.