Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are working on eating healthier as a family and I think I need a new cookbook to help me. We want to get away from processed foods and reduce the amount of meat and diary. One of the problems I'm having is that the meatless dishes I make are heavy on dairy, and the only vegetarian cookbook I have is heavy on the diary (The Moosewood Cookbook).

We are coming from a mainstream diet and I'm trying to make changes that my family will actually eat.

What would be the perfect cookbook for me?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Joanne Stepaniak's cookbooks are my favorite (all vegan, very healthy). I post about them all the time. I promise I'm not being paid to do so!

My favorites are Table for Two and Vegan Vittles, both very inexpensive.

Another great books is her "Saucy Vegetarian"--it's full of recipes for no-cook sauces and dressings, all of which take about 5 minutes to prepare. Some use veggie bases (sweet red pepper sauce), some are more vinegarette-y (there's a yummy orange sesame dressing), and some are creamy (cucumber dill, "cheeze" sauces). I often just assemble a grain (couscous, ww pasta, brown rice, etc.), a protein (usually beans), and some veggies, and top with a sauce. She also provides suggested "pairings" of veggies, grains, etc. that go well with particular sauces.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My favorite right now is Vegan Planet (definitely not heavy on the diary...
) by Robin Robertson. Everything that I've made from this has been terrific!

I'll give thumbs-up to the PP's recommendation of Joannne Stepaniak's books. Vegan Vittles is a favorite here.

Bryanna Clark Grogan also has very consistent, innovative Veg. recipes. I have "20 Minutes to Dinner", and it is WELL worn

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I like The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas, also Laurels Kitchen and Celebration of Wellness - all family friendly meals.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
slygrrl--I also have Vegan Planet, and, while I like the recipes I've made, I found them a little labor-intensive...i.e., stuff I enjoyed, but probably wouldn't make regularly. What are some of your favorites from the book?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A few of my favorite are:

The Farm Cookbook (from the farm in TN).
The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil, M.D. and Rosie Daley
Natural Menu Cookbook by Jane Summerfield (this is my favorite)!!!

I love to cook, so I don't mind taking the time for these books. I usually prep in the late morning before dd's nap, and that shortens the actual time later around dinner.

Another quick book is Fast, Fresh, and Spicy Vegetarian: Healthful Recipes for the Cook on the Run. These are really yummy!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCVeg
slygrrl--I also have Vegan Planet, and, while I like the recipes I've made, I found them a little labor-intensive...i.e., stuff I enjoyed, but probably wouldn't make regularly. What are some of your favorites from the book?

That's so interesting, because the main reason I bought Vegan Planet after flipping through it (aside from the matter of my untamed cookbook addiction...
: ) is that the recipes were rather short on labor!
Often long ingredients lists, but few steps.

some of my favorites ~

Baked Sweet Potato & Pea Samosas (I cheated and used wonton wrappers, and they were super fast!)

Basil Pesto (just made this yesterday)

Maple-Baked Root Vegetables

Indonesian Style Rice with Tempeh

Sesame Soba Noodles

Drunken Noodles

Middle Eastern Lentils & Rice with Caramelized Shallots

Indonesian-inspired Tempeh Stew

Backyard BBQ Chili

Mahogany Eggplant

Three-way Sesame coated Tofu strips with Spicy Broccoli

Spicy Soy Vegetable Scramble

hmmmm... thumbing through the book, I now have 1) a serious appetite and 2) lots of ideas for new things to make!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I like Laurels Kitchen , It is heavy on the dairy and eggs, but I modify most of the recipes. The big thing that I like about it is the bread section, great instructions!
I also really enjoy:
Lord Krishnas Cuisine, Great Vegetarian Dishes, Cooking with Kurma, The Volumptuous Vegan, and The Now and Zen Epicure.
Vegetarian Times also has really really good recipes.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I like the Good Food Book. It's not veg or vegan, but it's very big on whole foods, low sugar, low processed foods and small amounts of meat. My copy is WELL worn!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slygrrl

some of my favorites ~

Baked Sweet Potato & Pea Samosas (I cheated and used wonton wrappers, and they were super fast!)
Basil Pesto (just made this yesterday)
Maple-Baked Root Vegetables
Indonesian Style Rice with Tempeh
Sesame Soba Noodles
Drunken Noodles
Middle Eastern Lentils & Rice with Caramelized Shallots
Indonesian-inspired Tempeh Stew
Backyard BBQ Chili
Mahogany Eggplant
Three-way Sesame coated Tofu strips with Spicy Broccoli
Spicy Soy Vegetable Scramble

OMG! this list sounds amazing! I have to borrow it from my library now. Off to my library's website!

eta:
I guess I'm a bit of a cookbook addict myself. :LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts