Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, please! There's such a small number of organ recipes in NT & I'm overwhelmed by all the crazy stuff that comes up when I Google. How do you figure out what the heck to do with all your duck hearts & cow kidneys & such??
I'll happily take links, recipes, ideas, anything!

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Fergus Henderson's Nose to Tail Eating is good, and I just bought myself an old French cookbook.
Thanks! The description on Amazon isn't super clear on organs, it talks about whole pig heads & how to shave a pig's tail & such, lol. Do you find that it has plenty of ideas for hearts, liver & kidneys also?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahlyao View Post
i use a boston school of cooking cookbook that i inherited from my grandmother. it's old enough that it has no print dates in front (though it is a paperback). i can post a recipe if you're looking for something specific.
Hmm. Well I have a ziploc full of chicken gizzards I have no idea what to do with. I also have a bunch of lamb kidneys. I found this recipe today that I might try. Have you cooked with gizzard or kidney recipes from your cookbook?

Tonight I cooked up a bunch of duck liver using a recipe from the bottom of this page: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/liver.html The whole recipe is:
Cut liver into small pieces and roll it in beaten egg then in nut flour (finely ground crispy nuts). Fry in hot coconut oil and salt and pepper to taste. It's out of this world!
I toasted & ground cashews for it. OMG it is reeeeally good!

I'm kind of surprised there's not a cookbook just for animal organs! Or maybe there are some old ones I could search up on Amazon. Hmm.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
lamb kidney

For each serving, allow 1 veal kidney or 1 1/2 lamb kidney.

To prepare for cooking, split and remove the white tubes and the fat. Cover with cold water and let stand 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towel. Cook kidneys briefly - overcooking toughens them.

Broiled Kidneys. Dip in French dressing. Broil 10 minutes, turning frequently. Serve on toast. Season melted butter with salt, cayenne and lemon juice and pour over kidneys.

Pan-broiled Kidneys. Cut in 1/2-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook in butter until tender (about 5 minutes). Add a little lemon juice or wine to the butter in the pan and pour it over the kidneys.

Kidneys en Brochette. Cover with stock or consomme and cook 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the stock. Slice and arrange on skewers with squares of bacon, mushroom caps and quartered small tomatoes. Broil until the bacon is crisp, turning to cook evenly. Baste with French dressing several times. Serve with slices of lemon or with Brown Sauce (p. 97) made with the stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.