Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have some questions for you experienced parents about wheat allergies:

1) When would you introduce a baby to wheat? We have no wheat allergies in the family, but she is allergic to dairy (as am I).

2) I don't understand the difference between being exposed to an allergen via breast milk and directly via food. If she shows no sign of allergy to wheat in my diet does this mean she probably won't have a reaction when eating wheat?

3) What does a wheat reaction typically look like in an infant? The allergy ring rash?

Lucia is almost 7 months old and we just started solids (baby-led weaning style) about two weeks ago. A couple days ago I gave her some wheat bread, green beans and bananas and the next day she had a bright red, puffy rash on one side of her bottom (about the size of two quarters). It was the 2nd or 3rd time she had wheat and the first time she had green beans. The rash didn't look like the allergy ring she usually gets when I eat dairy. Today it has shrunk to two red bumps like large bug bites.

What do you think?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi. Wheat is hard to digest and a common allergen. I always waited until my babies were over a year before giving them wheat. Single ingredient foods really are best at this age especially if there are allergy issues.

Allergens in your breastmilk would ideally be broken down by your digestion and not cause issues in your baby unless you weren't breaking them down for some reason (like a leaky gut). Foods directly given to baby have to be broken down completely by her. She will need the good gut flora, enzymes, etc to be able to process the food herself. That is why it is best to stick with easily digestible foods and avoid things that are hard to digest.

Allergy symptoms vary by child. For us, its reflux, rash, and sleeplessness. And poop issues (either diarrhea or constipation). There is a difference between an allergic response which involves the immune system and an intolerance which is the body's inability to process that food effectively, often causing gastric distress.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum with some good links on introducing food to an allergic baby. I am also enjoying the book Nourishing Traditions which suggests avoiding grains for the first year as baby does not have the enzymes yet with which to digest them. If grains are desired, brown rice is usually best tolerated. Soaking grains can help the digestion process once you decide to introduce them.

http://westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
We introduce at 8 months...that has not changed with having children after our wheat-allergic child.

My wheat-allergic child never reacted to wheat in my breastmilk, but had a very severe reaction to cheerios (his first wheat)

At eight months old, his reaction was initially throat swelling and turning red, hives over his entire body. After an hour or so, he had severe diarrhea and was inconsolable. Now that he talks, we know that he has flu-like muscle aches, sore bones, terrible gastric pain.

What made you think wheat rather than green beans? She's had wheat, but no green beans. i would wait a week or so, and introduce wheat again alone...not as a bread (too many ingredients) but as a grain...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
At eight months old, his reaction was initially throat swelling and turning red, hives over his entire body. After an hour or so, he had severe diarrhea and was inconsolable. Now that he talks, we know that he has flu-like muscle aches, sore bones, terrible gastric pain.
Wow, how miserable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
What made you think wheat rather than green beans? She's had wheat, but no green beans. i would wait a week or so, and introduce wheat again alone...not as a bread (too many ingredients) but as a grain...
I forgot that green beans could be an issue until I wrote the first post. I think I'll wait until 8 months and try both again, alone.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthmama4 View Post
Single ingredient foods really are best at this age especially if there are allergy issues.

Thanks for the reminder. I got a little carried away in the excitement to see her eat...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts