Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was pregnant, I looked forward to babywearing...seeing another mom with her child in a ring sling totally won me over......
So now I have my own ring sling and I enjoy wearing my baby.........but have you ever had it just not work out?

Like one moment we're happily striding along..i'm feeling like total earth mother/one with my darling baby, baby is happily looking around and observing.....then suddeny, for whatever reason, she suddenly freaks out and starts screaming! This often happens if we go into a shop and there is a difference in the temperature, or if I stop moving for any length of time.
It's funny I feel people are looking me thinking "that poor baby..why doesn't her mom just put her in a stroller" especially when i pass several mothers with sound asleep babies in strollers.....I must admit i have walked back home with a screaming baby in my sling on more than one occasion.

I'm still 100% into baby wearing and I'm saving for an Ergo and accepting the offer of a friend's Wilkinet, (A British design) so I will keep at it....just wondered if you guys could relate at all??

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My dd will occationally do that. Usually it is because she has gotten too hot. She just all of a sudden starts screaming. I usually pull her out and calm her down in that situation.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Oh, yeah, I think we've all been there. For DD, it was getting out of the Mei Tai--she'd cry hysterically. I was afraid to wear her for a while because of it. The transistion from being warm and comfy to not was too much for her. I try to just ignore strangers who gawk and tell myself sometimes babies cry when they're in strollers, too....

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
i MUST MOVE -- MUST MOVE -- Momma do not stop.

and people wonder HOW I lost the baby weight???????

But as long as I bouncey or sway or walk in little cicrles or whatever -- he is content.

We have a stroller -- TRUST me -- the fits and freak out are faster, and wrose and un-fixable

A

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Try not to get discouraged. It sounds like you are doing everything right. I woudl look for a spot to sit and calm the baby down and nurse a bit. She might be hot or have a gas bubble or who knows. Once she is settled again then enjoy your time out. If people are looking at you they are more than likely concerned, I look when I hear a baby cry but I am not being judgemental unless they let the baby go on and on without any attempt to pick up and comfort the baby. Babies cry in strollers and seats too and often I see people continue their shopping as if nothing is happening.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post

But as long as I bouncey or sway or walk in little cicrles or whatever -- he is content.

We have a stroller -- TRUST me -- the fits and freak out are faster, and wrose and un-fixable

A
same here...I must keep moving, so when I'm standing in line to check out or whatever, I just move in a back and forth bounce to the music...

the funny thing is if you see me on the rare occasion I go to the store w/out the kid...cause I usually find myself still dancing around

·
Registered
731 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prensa View Post
same here...I must keep moving, so when I'm standing in line to check out or whatever, I just move in a back and forth bounce to the music...

the funny thing is if you see me on the rare occasion I go to the store w/out the kid...cause I usually find myself still dancing around

OMG, this is us, too!
I keep moving and bouncing even when I am not wearing DS.

It bothers him the most when I am not moving. Or, when he is particularly tired when out in a public place and he just can't bring himself to fall asleep. He is too excited by what is happening around him.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post

A
Each child is different. My child preferred the stroller often, as conveyed by her response to being in a carrier versus a stroller.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by evenstarlight View Post
It's funny I feel people are looking me thinking "that poor baby..why doesn't her mom just put her in a stroller" especially when i pass several mothers with sound asleep babies in strollers.....I must admit i have walked back home with a screaming baby in my sling on more than one occasion.
But the tables can be turned. How many times have I had a crying or screaming baby in the stroller or in the grocery cart and not in a carrier? You still have strangers glare at you. Then, I ask myself if that would have happened if the baby was in the wrap? It goes both ways.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
my new ds2 HATES being worn while ds1 needed it like air. i think it just depends on the babe, don't worry mama

·
Registered
443 Posts
OMG, dd2 hated being on her back in anything... not the Amby, not the Zooper... she loved being worn but the first thing I got after the Bjorn (hated the crotch-sit position!) was a Hotsling - a purple daisy one (now discontinued, but beautiful) that I fell in love with - and MAN did she hate that.

Maybe it was a size small, I dunno, but she cried and cried every time I put her in and took her out and wore her in it and that shattered any confidence I might have developed with the thing. Eventually, I swapped it for a lilac moby which she utterly loved.

The whole time we had it, I felt like everybody was staring at me, definitely like "take her out" or "put her in a carriage" or something. Dh didn't help - he hated the way you have to open the pouch and kind of "pop" the baby out... he would stand ready to leap to her aid if I dropped her... ;-)

These days, I am a happy and confident babywearer, and love unbuckling the Ergo with one hand on her bottom, then swinging her around my hip and dropping her, feet-first, to the floor. It LOOKS so risky, bc nothing is holding her up, and everybody runs over and gasps "do you need help?" ... but by the time they have offered, we're done and she's off and running!!!

I do hope to try a pouch again someday - so convenient for a newborn! - but I will probably buy fabric and make one.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think that babywearing parents are more aware of what other people "might" be thinking than other "conventional" moms. But the truth is that a screaming baby no matter where it is is an attention getter! I know that when I see a screamer in a stroller I think- PICK UP THAT BABY!!! And when one is screaming and being held I think- hang in there mom/dad!

I have 4 such screamers! Let me tell you how the looks go with each additional kid!!! Ha Ha- what they don't know! My kids screamed while they were adjusting, but at the end of the day my baby sleeps well, is happy, and knows that I love the, in spite of it all!

Watch how the baby is reacting to stimulattion, baby may be overwhelmed by all that is going on, make sure that baby can retreat, or has a way to shut off all the activity. If there is a temperature problem then maybe try to find a carrier that is mesh, if possible money wise, and try to be very aware of how hot baby is. I had to take DS out every hour and "fan" him off!

HANG IN THERE!!! And don't worry about the onlookers- they don't know what they are missing!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I totally been there. And honestly, like the above poster said, no matter what the baby is in, you'll get looks. When it happens though, I have to keep moving and swaying. Sometimes if I can tellmy baby is really hpt, I'll pull him out and carry him so he can cool cool some. I've also found that I get looks no matter where I go because of having 4 young children. SO I've become pretty much oblivious to stares. I just do my own thing.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I used to take the stroller with me and keep the sling in the diaper bag. If the baby wanted to be worn, stuff went into the stroller. If the baby wanted to ride and not be held, the seat was readily available. Or, anyway, I did this when I was out with two babies (take turns wearing each one depending on who needed it most at that moment) or when I'd be gone a long time- when you have 2 hours to kill waiting for your older kids at an appt, not having a stroller available was very inconvenient. If it's just a short trip, taking both stroller and carrier can be more of a hassle than it's worth.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
My dd used to do that, too.
My trick was to keep moving. It was a bit frustrating when shopping, and you wanted to stop and look at something a minute. She still does it now, at almost 17 months old. I sometimes use the stroller now, since I can move the stroller back and forth with one arm while I look at something with the other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.