Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been casually working with DD on using the potty, more to familiarize her with it than to eliminate diapers completely.

She doesn't really indicate to me when she needs to go on the potty, but I try to put her on it every hour or two, usually...like I said, more to familiarize her with it than anything else.

The last two days, I've left her diaperless, because she was starting to get a little bit of a heat rash. I anticipated having to clean up a few messes, and change the sheets...but I didn't have to. She went all night (11 hours) without peeing...and peed in the potty as soon as she woke up. She peed every hour thereafter, until her nap - she again stayed dry during her 2.5 hour nap, and peed in the potty immediately thereafter.

Is it possible that she's holding it until I put her on the potty? (She's just under 12 months.) If so, is every hour frequently enough? I don't want to run the risk of a UTI or a bladder infection just cause I don't get her onto the potty enough.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
That sounds perfect to me. My 8 mo old can, and has been able to for a while, go for hour-long stretches, and stay dry 11-13 hrs at night (the 13 hr ones scare me though- but they're rarer in this heat when he's nursing all night long).

THere was athread started a while ago about this. From the replies it seems to be VERY normal!

·
Registered
869 Posts
My 7 mo old DD definately can hold it and has been doing that for a really long time now. DS was a different story. But DD waits whenever she can until I offer the potty. She will even hold it at night. I should have kept a record of when she started holding it, but I think it started pretty early on (we started EC at 5 days) - basically when she started to figure out what we were doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts