Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 33 month old DS has been riding his bike (with training) wheels for about 2-3 months. He is VERY good at riding. He is really strong and dextrous and his hand eye coordination is really advanced. I want to get an idea of when you all took off the training wheels. I think he can do it. Am I being totally unrealistic? We live in a double cul de sac, so he has a lot of opportunity to ride without a lot of traffic. I thought we'd do it on his 3rd birthday, with gift being a new helmet (he's really excited about helmets). Thanks Mamas

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
It really depends on the child. I have seen some very young ones riding without the training wheels, and then there are kids like me who didn't learn until age 8! lol! My 5.5 year old just learned a few days ago. I put her training wheels on about 6 mos ago and did not feel she was ready until I saw her balancing and coasting along on her scooter.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Took DS's off at 3.5, probably would have tried sooner if it hadn't been so cold where we live! He zips around everywhere!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Leah outgrew her bike (she was tall for her age) and the bike she needed didn't come with (couldn't put on) training wheels...

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
We just took the training wheels off dd's bike (she's 5.5). She starting riding without the wheels that afternoon. Seriously, she must have been teaching herself to balance all along, because when I learned to ride a bike it took me weeks.<br><br>
I think it depends some on whether you have the space and inclination at this point to teach him to ride without the training wheels.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My dd is 6 and still can't ride w/o training wheels. She actually outgrew her bike. But she really doesn't have a whole lot of interst in riding it. I was thinking about getting her a new bike, but haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do get her one, I'll have to get myself one as well and ride w/her.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
dd is almost 6 and still needs training wheels. Many of her friends don't. dd isn't very cordinated but I expect within a year. It's too cold to ride in winter but she does ride almost daily in the summer.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
My oldest is 6 and has been riding for years, but he still prefers a trike even over the 2 wheeler with training wheels. He probably could ride a 2 wheeler, but he's a cautious kid and we'd rather he feel safe.<br><br>
I thought with training wheels you could raise them up off the ground so that they only touched when leaning to the side. Then, when it's obvious that the child isn't using them anymore (because they never touch the ground when the bike is in motion), you take them off.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My son is 35 mo and he started riding his bike with training wheels at the end of March and is amazingly strong on it (he has gone for 1 hour bike rides with his dad). In May he started obsessing about riding his other bike without training wheels that was hanging in the garage. We let him with some supervision. He quickly dubbed it a "tippy bike" and went back to the training wheels. He loves watching bigger kids on tippy bikes and he even is willing to ride his trike once in awhile now because he wants to practice leaning into turns.<br><br>
I would wait for him to take the lead and let him try it if he asks. If you make a big deal out of it for his birthday and then he can't do it, he may feel horrible about the experience.<br><br>
Kris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts