Mothering Forum banner

When did you end co-sleeping?

668 Views 14 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Junitune
I got my 2 yr old his own bed. I put it in our bedroom beside my bed. He loves it and is sleeping in it tonight for the first time.

I am so sad! Please tell me your story!
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
My 2 year old (may 30) is still in my bed and I would love for him to deside he wants to sleep in his own
My 5 year old had slept with us since birth and has just moved on his own into his own bed. I really wouldnt mind it, but Sean (the 2 year old) still is waking up in the middle of the night wanting drinks, moves around, kicks me, hits me and pulls on my hair all night long. I have not got more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep since he's been born. I know when he moves into his own bed I will be sad, but I am soooo exhausted.
See less See more
A few months ago we got dd her own bed and put it beside ours. The first night she slept in it dh and I both cried. Howemver, she then began cutting another set of teeth and has wound up back in our bed. So I guess its a process like everything else.
See less See more
our dd was 3 when she left our bed (our ds was born) and started sleeping in her toddler bed. she is still in our room, but recently asked for us to move her bed to her own room.. I am very nerveous, I don't think I should keep her in our room is she is asking to sleep in her own room, but I will probably be up the first couple nights because I will miss her... (even though she'll be in the room across from ours, lol)
I agree with OT Mama that it seems to be a process. A few weeks ago, I picked up a set of Wiggles sheets for my DD's twin-sized bed. When she saw them, she went berserk, demanding that I immediately wash them and put them on her bed. She slept in her "special bed" for about a week, but wanted me to sleep with her. Now, if anything is more uncomfortable than sleeping with her in my queen-sized bed, it's sleeping together in a twin bed!

So we're back in my bed until I can get myself some kind of bed for her bedroom floor. I'll probably sleep on her floor until she'll sleep through the night in her "special bed".

Oh, my DD is 26 months. I absolutely can't sleep without her, but I know that she wants to start sleeping by herself, so I think it's time. As with breastfeeding, I'm trying to follow her lead.

Best,
Nichole
My DD is just two (May 8th) and just started sleeping in her new toddler bed. I'm so sad! Looking over at her sweet, sleeping face makes my mornings. That, and cuddling with her in the morning before we get up. *sigh* The reason we felt it was time to transition her is because she was starting to wake up if we stirred (or got up) and I wanted to be able to let her sleep in a little later. (And claim a few minutes in the morning for myself.)
's to you!

My DS started sleeping in his crib at night at 15 mos. Co-sleeping just wasn't working for us anymore- and hadn't been working for a long time. Our DS is such a light sleeper and he was up and crying several times PER HOUR. I could tell he was frustrated and needed his own space. We gradually transitioned him to the crib.

I got to the point where I had to put his needs first....not my dream of co-sleeping longer. It is working well for us now.

's to you. It's hard when they just won't stop growing up! :LOL
's
See less See more
I think she was around 1.5 when she said she didn't want to sleep with us! It just about killed me to put her in her own bed all by herself. It looked so big, empty and cold! I cried in my bed for several nights as I missed having her with us.

She has never looked back. Every now and then I ask if she wants to come sleep with Momma and Daddy and she says no, I want to sleep in my own bed. I'm a big girl! (How can I be sad or happy about that?!!?)

Last night she happily slept with us, but that was only because she wasn't feeling well.

: to you - those first few nights are rough.
See less See more
my dd has become a very active sleeper, she rolls and turns over, and kicks, and when she bumps into me she wakes up and wants to nurse. she sleeps great until i get into bed! so as soon as we move (in about a month) we plan to get her her own bed to put in our bedroom, until she's ready for her own room. she's 22 months. i'm sad that she's getting so big
but i feel good about her having her own bed to sleep in. co sleeping full time has run it's course with us, and i think we'll both sleep better in seperate beds.. of course, she's always welcome to climb back in anytime
See less See more
My 5 year old dd started sleeping in her own bed a few months ago. The first night she seemed so far away! She and 2 year old ds go to sleep in her bed, and then I bring him into my bed when he wakes to nurse when I go to sleep.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabc311
My DS started sleeping in his crib at night at 15 mos. Co-sleeping just wasn't working for us anymore- and hadn't been working for a long time. Our DS is such a light sleeper and he was up and crying several times PER HOUR. I could tell he was frustrated and needed his own space. We gradually transitioned him to the crib.

I got to the point where I had to put his needs first....not my dream of co-sleeping longer. It is working well for us now.

's to you. It's hard when they just won't stop growing up! :LOL
's
This is what happened with us. Dd just wasn't sleeping anymore, which meant that nobody else was sleeping. The first night she slept in her own room (one year old) she slept through the night for the first time. Broke my heart. Now she'll occasionally awake around three am, nurse and then go back to sleep alone. If I try to stay with her, she'll sleep fitfully and keep waking.

Miss my girly... but hey, it's not about me, now is it.
See less See more
DD started sleeping in her own room at about 2.5 yo...only because of new baby brother. She would wake when he would and it wasn't working anymore. DS is almost three and he still sleeps w/momma.
I will never give up cosleeping in the sense our bed will always be open. (with in reason
However my DD also sleeps in her own bed. We madee the transition about 15 months. DD simpily wasn't sleeping well with us anymore. I returned to work in the evenings and I don't get home till well after midnight, I was comming home not only to a sleeping toddler that left me no room :LOL but one who would easily wake up to nurse and these nursing secessions would never end, so I was getting no sleep. and DD was getting cranky during the day.
The transition to the crib was fairly simple yes I did "train her" but no ferber ect methods
Day one I keept her bedtime rountinue the same. Dinner about 5:30 bath time, PJ's nursing, quiet play, book, teethbrushing, then to bed.
I put her in her bed (she stood up and held out her hands) Oh this was a toddler bed (crib with rail removed and a bed rail) I just keept my voice calm and said It's okay lay down, Its okay its time to sleep, and I layed her down, I keept telling her it was okay and I rubbed her back, I sang to her, and told her I loved her and how wonderful she would feel after a god nights sleep, and just kept rubbing her back. I never left her but I didn't pick her up eaither. She would stand up and jump into my arms and I'd just give her a quick reassuring hug, and say I love you but its time to lay down. Finially after about 15 mintues she layed down and I just countinued rubbing her back and singing softenly ect. Once she was really relaxed. I stopped physical contact but stayed beside her for a bit, once confortable I kissed her one last time and said good night and that I loved her. I steped out of the room and like 20 seconds latter she cried, I right away went back and just told her shhh its okay it's time to sleep, rubbed her back a bit again till she as calm... She finially feel asleep about 45 mintues after we started.
Day 2 same bedtime rountinue once in her bed and I said okay lay down, she did, I again rubbed her back a bit (maybe five mintues) but she didn;t cry, I then stayed in the room with her a bit, she would pop her head up ever so often but would just put it back and in a minute or so her eyes were closed. I quietly backed out and there was silence. I checked on her about ten mintues latter and she was fast asleep.
Day 3 I put her in bed and said lie down, she did pulled her covers up over her held up her awms so I could kiss her good night which I did she then rolled over and closed her eyes. I again said I loved her. Sung her a lullabye and stroked her back (not out of a necessity anymore but as something I like to do for my child KWIM?) I then again gave her a light kiss, said good night. She was fast asleep within a few mintues.
its been almost 5 months since I did this, she sleeps quite well, There is no or very little if any fussing, She doesn' get out of bed even though she is able to. and does in the mornings, We don't even close the door anymore. Sometimes she wakes early say (5am ect and crawls into our bed and curls up with us for a few more hours and I love this its our special time. I also still co nap with her at times, and sometimes she does come into our bed during the night, we just go with the flow what we consider important is everyone is getting a good sleep.

Deanna
Deanna
See less See more
I don't have a toddler right now, but just wanted to add...my older two coslept until they were 6 and 4! The baby is that "wierd" baby who doesn't like to cosleep and wants in his own bed. *sigh* I was SO looking forward to cuddling again. Alas, I have to settle for the once or twice a week the oldest stumbles into my room and climbs between us because she's scared. (Yep, she's 11...but she has night terrors, so I don't mind she cuddles up since it's the only time I catch her wanting to be that close to me again.
)
See less See more
I was thinking about this the other day. DD is 2 years 8 months. I bought her a toddler bed when she was two and kept it next to mine. She thought it was cool and it was a topic of conversation for a while. She'd get in it every once in a while but never wanted to sleep in it. Mostly her stuffed animals slept in it and occasionally the dog. I eventually moved it to another room (her playroom we call it). The cat sleeps on it and her dolls and stuffed animals are on it. She shows no signs of wanting to sleep in it.

She sleeps in her father and stepmother's bed when she is with them and she has slept with my mom and my sister when they have had her overnight. I just never know when she will decide tonight's the night! I know I'll be extremely sad. She just decided this week that she was going to wear underwear instead of diapers - just one day and she hasn't really looked back!

I know when she is away on the weekends with her father I miss her terribly in the morning. I hope I'm as ready for it as she is when it happens!
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.