Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are at 11 mo. and no nootes donw yet - I type one-handed here- holding just nursed baby in other. I'm sure that peole are anxious to get them, but I just don't have time. If I'm not taking care of a baby or an older child, then I'm doing something crazy like cleaning up the HUGE mess in mty house or even crazier making dinner. I have yet to take any time just for me - I used to love scrapbooking, but I can't justify spending the time on me and not doing thank you notes.

What about you?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oh wow, twinvillageiowa - your twins have different birthdays!

I was pretty good with thankyous but I wanted to combine them with a really cute announcement picture (saving some time and stamps
) so it was maybe 6 weeks.

My mother was asking me if the notes were done when my babes were about 3 weeks old though.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Ummm...never.
:

Seriously. We had 3 showers and thank you cards gave me a lot of anxiety, because I had a high risk pregnancy & I was in the hospital a lot. So we sent a few emails and then saw everyone else after the babies were born & thanked them all. Everyone understood. Everyone.

I had a twin mama friend who kind of mentored me in the beginning and she told me thank you cards were optional for twin mamas. I kind of went with that I guess.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
for the most part DH sent out a generic email thanking everyone for the gifts the volunteering of time, etc... i will probably write up a long holiday letter this year and include it with our christmas cards... in there i will thank everyone for their continued generousity... etc ( i will also have the words spelled correctly)

·
Registered
459 Posts
ha ha
this is a funny post, my mom brings it up every once in a while because she hosted a baby shower for me from across the country (with her friends - acquaintences of mine).
I keep telling her that it is acceptable to take a year for thank yous for a baby, and since I have 2, I figure that is TWO years!
(we are at 11 months and have sent out maybe half - all from the first few weeks when I still had extra help all the time).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
more like anguished post - I feel such guilt. I'm not letting me doing anything that I would enjoy until the darn things are done - and I'm not liking life so much with them hanging oer my head - I wish dh would write them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love this post b/c I remember thinking, " I have all this writing to do and I just want to relax, nurse, and rest." I think we have a picture of me tandem nursing the newborns, sending out on line photos and attacking the thank yous. I don't know how I did it.

But now, we just celebrated their 2nd birthday (a month ago). And I have given up the idea of sending thank yous to all the people that were at the party. I figure they know how busy our lives are and I thanked them in person. I realized that you just have to give somewhere. I would much rather be reading the twins bullitin on mdc than writing thank yous right now.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm OCD about thank you notes. I kept a running list of all the gifts I received and just kept working through the list. I even wrote thank you notes for the meals that people brought over. It's partly genetic and partly a result of my former profession (fundraising, which obviously requires writing a lot of thank you's). The only one I didn't write was to a very good friend who threatened me with bodily harm if I took the time to write her a thank you note.

My twins never slept at the same time in the beginning, so I could sling one and write while the other was sleeping. Or occassionally got a couple written off by the time while a grandma was here. I just had to get them out of my life so I could get on with things.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So now that I'm actually ready to sit down and write the darn things (actually it is more like I am going to a party where everyone will be who has given us presents), I can't find the list of who gave us what. And I have no idea because I missed this baby shower because I was in labor! Yikes!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twinvillageiowa
So now that I'm actually ready to sit down and write the darn things (actually it is more like I am going to a party where everyone will be who has given us presents), I can't find the list of who gave us what. And I have no idea because I missed this baby shower because I was in labor! Yikes!
I would write a very nice, "Thank you for your generosity and your support" kind of note to the folks you can't match up with gifts. Mention what you can remember, and if you can't make note that you missed being at your own shower, and you are sorry you couldn't thank them in person sooner. It worked for us when we couldn't identify what gift some folks gave us.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajody
I would write a very nice, "Thank you for your generosity and your support" kind of note to the folks you can't match up with gifts. Mention what you can remember, and if you can't make note that you missed being at your own shower, and you are sorry you couldn't thank them in person sooner. It worked for us when we couldn't identify what gift some folks gave us.
Yeah, I took a pic of the boys when they were 1 month old & printed out postcards that said something generic like "thank you very much for the baby presents you sent celebrating the birth of C &E" For the people that I knew were very anal about thank you notes (aka mother!) I wrote a brief note (a sentence or two). Otherwise, I just sent generic cards. Dh wrote the envelopes & dd put on the stamps! They were all out by about 4 months, I think. What a PIA....

·
Registered
375 Posts
I actually bought and filled out my thank you notes about one month after my girls were born, but I had my address book at home ( I was staying in the city where my babies were born while they were in the NICU). I didn't have a chance to get addresses and stamps until a few months later. I think all the cards were sent out by June, which was about five months after they were born. We never had a shower, so I STILL get presents for them, which means I need to get some more thank-you cards and start on a new list
: !

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My twins are almost 5 months now and I have a couple of them filled out, a couple that got sent out, and a ton that aren't even written. I basically figured it was too late at this point but I guess not, right? I feel terrible about not doing it, especially since my mom ultra guilt-trips me about it. On the one hand I think that people should more than understand that I'm a bit busy, but on the other I just feel plain bad about it - especially since the gifts were all so unsolicited (no shower or anything) and really did help us out (we didn't know we were having 2 boys and only had hand-me-down stuff from our girls).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see this post! ?I have been feeling so terrible. Not to mention the guilt trips galore from my MIL. Maybe now that the big guy(my 4 yo) is back in school and I *only* have two....
:

Paula

·
Registered
407 Posts
um, don't hate me because I'm organized, lol!

I wrote the thank you notes from the shower before the girls were born (they came 2 weeks afterward). I rushed through them because I didn't want to have to deal with them after the girls were born.

The thank you notes for the baby gifts were all sent out within 2 weeks of receipt of the gift. Most everyone sent flowers and gifts while they were still in the hospital, so I wrote those while the girls were sleeping. Things didn't get really crazy until they were both home, I'm glad I got the bulk of them done before then. We continued to get gifts for the next 6 months or so (first grandchildren on both sides) and it's easy to get just one thank you written and mailed every now and then.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
:

I got my shower thank-you notes out about a week after the shower because I knew if I didn't do it then that I never would. The gifts we got after the babies were born....gosh, I hope those people aren't holding their breath!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.