Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you gave birth in a location other than your home, and your water broke when you weren't at that location, when did you contact your practitioner (Dr, Midwife, etc) and did they have you come right in?

Or, I guess, if you were having a home birth, and your water broke when you weren't home, were you told to go home directly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Mine maybe broke at 8am but I wasnt sure and denial worked well for me b/c I had a meeting at 9 I couldn't miss. after the meeting (10:30), I had an obvious small gush, I called and went in but I was having contraction, have a history of fast labor, and was only 36 weeks, Unknown GBS status, and I knew I needed antibiotics once my water broke. So, somewhat unique situation, not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you don't mind sharing your experience, I would be happy to comment on how it compares to what I've seen in my experiences being at labors in several New England hospitals (maybe about a thousand in assorted roles)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you don't mind sharing your experience, I would be happy to comment on how it compares to what I've seen in my experiences being at labors in several New England hospitals (maybe about a thousand in assorted roles)
It's a long and complicated birth story, but here's the shortest I can make it: labor started Monday at 3am. Went in to hospital early afternoon. Total f-n bitch of a midwife nearly came to blows with my husband and then medically assaulted me. Went home. Went back in at 3am Tuesday for morphine (different midwife) so I could sleep for a little while. Though my pain went down, contractions never let up, got no sleep. Got sent home at 7am. Tuesday at noon my water broke, we called and were told not to come in. Wednesday morning about 3am we went in again, got admitted (third midwife), had bloodwork done. Wednesday afternoon around 1, they told me that I "had" to have antibiotics because I had waited so long to come in after my water broke. lots more after that, but it just gets longer and more crappy.

More than one health care professional (I work in a hospital) has been amazed that we weren't told to come in immediately after my water broke (as I had already been in labor for more than 30 hours), and that they never did any blood work until over two days in.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had my water break around 5am and was instantly in active labor. My midwife wasn't sure it was really active labor so just told me to rest and time the contractions and call her back when they were long, strong, and close together (5-1-1). After 3 hours of that I was told to come in to the hospital around 8am. For my second birth my water never broke, he was born in the caul, so I can't compare.

My midwife for my second, and upcoming third, birth gave me the instructions that if my water breaks I need to check in with her, but as long as I'm not showing signs of infection we would proceed based on contractions/labor symptoms. She is content to wait several days after the water breaking as long as there is no sign of infection.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With my first, my water broke at the very start. I freaked out because we hadn't really talked about that happening prior to a contraction. Dr said to wait until they were 3-4 min apart and lasting a minute before heading to the hospital. It only took an hour for that to happen. (She ended up a csection but not because of a clock, she found a nook in my pelvis and started to turn transverse). With my second my water didn't break until just before pushing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
If your water breaks, you should go into labor or be induced, is the current thinking. You were already in labor (although perhaps still considered latent or early) so I guess they thought you were going in the right direction? Blood doesn't need to be drawn until there is a reason for it, typically either signs of an infection or about to do interventions (like pit or epidural). And some hospitals have routine admission blood work- but not all. I'm not sure if there is a 'routine' use of antibiotics after water being broken for x amount of time, maybe in that practice? Or if you had signs of infection? Either way, it wasn't your fault. I guess it sounds like they were pushing things in the Non- interventionist direction, which is legit unless it goes against a local / hospital policy. But it's not very woman- centered care. It would have probably been reasonable to also admit and induce/augment your labor once your water broke, and IMO that should have been offered, but that is my personal philosophy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts