Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never posted here (vbac) but have read lots!! : )

I'm 40 weeks today - have had a ton of prelabor for the last 2 weeks... kicked into higher gear (early labor) last night at 1am. My contractions were really strong and long, and were pretty much 8-10-12 mins apart for a good 5 hours. Then we all got up for breakfast and they stopped/slowed down for about 2, then picked up again and were more irregular than last night (10-12-15 mins apart). I havent timed yet tonight, but they are harder now, and definitely a minute or so long.

When have you all gone to the hospital? We're 45 mins away from ours, and I dont want to go too soon, but then again, i dont want to go too late. Our doula (also a homebirth midwife) suggested re-training my mind to say that we'll head to the hospital when I feel like pushing! That seems too long to wait... at least for me.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went when I entered into transition.. they were about a minute apart.. but i live 5 minutes away from hossy.

I was 9 cm. when I got there.. I got undressed and went for the shower. ( locked the door) and labored in the steam and dark until I knew it was time..

best birth Ive had yet!

Listen to the Doula sounds like she has lots of wisdom..

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was in light labor with Braxton-Hicks for 9 hours. Then they suddenly kicked in to real contractions (took all my concentration, couldn't talk) at 2 minutes apart lasting 45-60 seconds. I called my doula, then stayed home with these contractions for the next 6 hours. We went to the hospital to get checked - 90% effaced, 1 cm, 0 station. We went home, and I labored for the next 16 hours with contractions every 3.5 minutes apart. I started getting agitated and panicky, so we went back in - 100% effaced, 4 cm, 0 station. Overall, I had 9 hours of prelabor and 22 hours of intense labor before I agreed to be admitted.

My decision to go to the hospital was based on a sudden overwhelming urge for the jacuzzi tub for pain/panic relief, and a puzzling feeling that I HAD to get there. The hospital is 40 minutes away for me too. Originally I didn't want to go until I was near transition. This was my first birth, and I was immediately confused by the contractions STARTING at 2 minutes and staying there. However, my Bradley class emphasized the emotional stages of labor and I listened to these signs instead.

By the way, my decision to go to the hospital was strange because I knew at the time I wasn't near transition and I was going against my carefully prearranged plans. I just had a sudden need to be there. I believe it was God's intervention - 30 minutes after I got there my DS heartrate dropped to 60 and stayed there no matter what position we tried. Emergency C-section - he had 2 knots in his umbilical cord that had tightened. This is so rare that only in the archives of this forum have I heard women talk about it! The point is - please be open to your mother's intuition, whether it is telling you to stay or go. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I went to the hospital when I was more or less in the 4-1-1 pattern (four minutes between contractions, contractions lasting at least a minute, for at least an hour). Moving around, talking, bouncing on the birth ball, chatting on mdc
... nothing changed the contraction pattern.

With dd1's birth when I had the 4-1-1 patterns I was roughly 5cm dilated so I figured it would be similar or faster with dd2.

I had planned on staying home longer but my mom had arrived to stay with dd1 and she was totally NOT in tune with a vbac or hypnobirthing so my home became unpleasantly tense. And then I wasn't feeling the babe move much and had already had SROM so I wanted to go to the hospital just to make sure dd2 was happy with how things were going.

Anyway, when I got there I was barely 3cm! I was going to go home, changed my mind, and dd2 was born naturally just a few hours later.

Hope you're babe is here already!

·
Registered
406 Posts
My contractions were 5mins apart, 1min long, for at least an hour. I got there, they hooked me up, my contractions spaced out and I wasn't dialated, so they sent me home. A few hours later I thought they were getting worse. Sure enough 3-5mins apart, 1-2mins long, for an hour. They didn't ease up this time on the way to the hospital or after they checked me in. Still took 12hrs after that before he was born...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I waited until my contractions were less than 5 minutes apart. When I got there, however, I was still only about 1.5 cm dilated, so everyone's different. I wish I had waited longer...but unless you really KNOW your body WeLL, you won't know how far along you are until that Urge comes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I went to the hospital when I could no longer talk throught the contractions. Our hospital was also about 45 min away, the worse car ride ever, but it was in the middle of the night so no traffic.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When contractions were definitely staying around 4-5 mins apart. I was 7cm when they checked me when we arrived.

they were over 1 min duration from 1st contraction, but were anywhere from 5-15 mins apart for about 15 hours and not all over the place. Then they got closer together regularly.

I only felt like pushing just before her head crowned and my whole official pushing stage was 18 mins from full dilation, so if I'd waited til then to go to the hospital, I would have had a car birth!

I personally did not want to go to hospital at last minute anyway, as I didn't want the fear in the back of my mind of birthing en route there. I wanted to arrive with plenty of time to settle in and re-find my focus.

·
Registered
791 Posts
When I felt like I was a bit grunty. I'd been in good labor for about 3 hours. I was fully dilated when i got there and pushed for half an hour. Not sure what I'll do this time as I am presuming the pushing will be less and I do not want to deliver in the car!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I went when my contractions had been 5 minutes apart for an hour and were getting stronger. I was GBS+ though and that is the only reason I went so early, i wanted to make sure I had time to get the antibiotics before delivery so that they didn't want to do any tests on the baby.

Next time I will probably go when the contractions are more like 3 minutes apart. I live 30 minutes from the hospital I deliver at.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Our plan was to go at 5 mins apart, but we skipped that and went straight from 7 mins apart to 3 mins apart. lol I wasn't even timing then, just getting ready to go b/c I knew it would need to be soon when DH realized they were close so we hurried up some as we needed to drop our son off at MIL's house (it was 3am!). I went and was 5-6 cm and Evan was born an eventful 3 hrs later. Had I waited, I would've gone as soon as I started bleeding. I ended up having a placental abruption w/ him, but still had my VBAC. Best wishes! I had ptl w/ him and lots of pre-labor, but once things were in full gear I kind of knew it, I labored for 12 hrs w/ him when it was the real thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.