Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 2 1/2 and seems to be getting bored at home lately. I'll admit that even though we don't have a tv I let the kids watch one video/cartoon on youtube each day. Well, it is getting to the point where she is constantly begging to watch one. Although I'm not downing open ended toys, she doesn't seem too interested these days in dollies, play food, playsilks, or wooden cars. We try to take bike rides and trips to the library. I'm just thinking she is ready for something else.

I know that she loves to do finger play songs. We have done the mommy and me playgroup before at DS's WS and she loved that but of course that is only once a week.

So I'm just wondering at what age it seems appropriate to start a rhythm? I'm not talking about anything fancy but something like the examples in Seven Times the Sun where you have craft time, cleanup time, outside time, etc. I still can't imagine sitting down with her to paint with watercolors but maybe she is ready?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
hmm well we started with my now 3yo around 1 1/2 or so. she needs it. we are still perfecting it and its more of a weekly rhythm (baking day,painting day,craft day,gardening day ,ect) but she can always count on breakfast 1st thing when we wake,little sister's nap at 9:30/10ish (thats hwne we do whatever activity it is for the day) lunch at 11 when daddy comes home, walk when daddy come home for the evening and then dinner at 5:30 and bedtime at 7.

did that make sense at all?

·
Registered
684 Posts
We have had a 'loose' rhythm since DS was a few months old. Of course, it continues to evolve as he gets older, but there has always been the same kind of flow to our days. It is much more based upon what event follows the next than the exact time on the clock. He does not yet participate in the handwork, baking, gardening, etc. but I do them anyway as he plays nearby and as he is able I will incorporate him more into those various activities.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think now would be a great time to establish a rhythm in your home and think hard about inbreath times and outbreath times. One thing I think is really essential for that age is a lot of outdoor time in natural spaces. We literally have spent several hours outdoors in the morning and then again in the afternoon. That would be part of establishing a daily rythm....
I would also think a lot about sensory experiences, fingerplays/verses, songs and singing. Your child is probably also ready for some very repetitive oral storytelling and telling made up spontaneous stories about an animal family that lives around your home, etc.

While I don't think mine personally would have been ready to sit down and wet on wet paint at 2 and a half, things that worked well for us were a day of gardening, baking (they can help with dumping ingredients in for bread), arts and crafts (Earthways has good suggestions and you can also help if they are too complex), an errand kind of day, a housekeeping day. This is a kind of weekly activity.

Then you can also look at yearly rhythm, what festivals really speak to you and how you would like to start celebrating. You can start small and add on every year and really pick what is meaningful to you.

This is great fun, it takes time to establish a rhythm and what it looks like now may not be exactly the same as your child grows, but it certainly gives them something to hang their hat on and helps them to know what to expect when...
Keep us posted as to your progress!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I agree, you can start a rhythm/routine anytime. I think I started with my ods before he was a year old. And my yds has been going along with us practically since birth. It changes as they get older and can do different things but the loose pattern has been there.

I also agree with spending as much time outside as possible. My ds did a wonderful job playing imaginatively and independently outside at that age. He had a harder time when we were inside. He really didn't start playing with his toys until he was over three, and even now he would rather be playing with sticks and mud!

Singing is great for toddlers. It might seem akward at first to do lots of songs but I think if you just do it after awhile it will feel more natural. If you do books wordless picture books are nice, because you can make up the dialogue together, and add on as you read it more and more. For art I think playdough and crayons are most appropriate. My ds really enjoyed block crayons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.