Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
When I took my ds to the dentist in Aug. (his 2nd visit) she asked me to start flossing his teeth. He had a lot of build up after only 6 months so I was concerned as well. We do it almost every night. I have a ton of caveties and my dh has an enzyme deficiency that causes tarter to build up easily. (his mother has it also)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It's really up to you. I took my 3 yo in and he had two cavities! So I'm flossing his teeth every day now. The dentist told my older kids (7 and 9) to try and floss a few times a week. That might be good for your son too.

I got one of these for my 3 yo http://www.dentist.net/butler-gum-floss-mate.asp

It just uses regular floss so you aren't always throwing something out like you do with disposable flossers.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
We've been flossing DS's teeth since he was right around 2. We use the disposable flossers with handles.
: I like the one in the link lindberg99 provided, though, since there wouldn't be so much waste.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah... At my daughter's first appointment (age 2 1/2?) I was told that I didn't need to worry about flossing. At her 4th appointment... Age 5, they took x-rays for the first time and she had 2 cavities between her molars. I feel so bad that I didn't floss! I guess at 2 1/2 her teeth weren't touching anywhere, but apparently, if they touch, they need to be flossed.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I started at age 2 and yes, I use the disposable flossers, it's so much easier to use when trying to maneuver small pieces of floss in a tiny mouth. There's less chance of the floss slipping and hurting their gums too. It's never too early to floss! ( I sound like a commercial!lol)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.