Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how old were your kids when you started homeschooling them? (i mean actually structured..aside from the normal, everyday teaching) does that make any sense? preschool? did you wait til kindergarten? did you start before preK?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Unschooling here so we're keep it free wheeling for the duration unless DS states or otherwise shows us that he would prefer some structure. He is nearly four so it's early yet at any rate and we do have a rhythm in our family life but aside from that, we follow our interests and let them take us to the next.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
We started more structured activities when my oldest turned 4. Nothing intense or demanding. Our 'lesson' time consists of reading together on the couch, followed by some sort of table work (workbooks, coloring, drawing, crafting, playdoh- whatever the kids choose). It's structured in that we do it at the same time every day, but relaxed in that the kids are given a choice as to which activities they want to do, and I never force them to participate.

I chose to start at such a young age not because I want to pressure them into academic work, but because I realized after much trial and error that our days go much more smoothly when we have a consistent routine. It's more about lifestyle than rigorous academic pursuits.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
We started doing the Oak Meadow kindergarten curriculum in September. DD turned 5 in June. We just started doing it with any regularity in the past month or so.
:

·
Registered
951 Posts
dd is 4 and we do "schoolwork" about 4-5 days a week. Schoolwork consists of workbooks, art projects, playdough, cooking projects, nature walks. That sort of thing. She asks for it. It is her favorite thing to do right now. We started doing this sort of thing a couple of months after she turned three though. I just follow her lead for what she wants to learn and how long she wants to do it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
We started a more structured approach when DS started first grade right before he turned 8. We started a curriculum for math and history. Everything else was child-led.

My DD is 5 and I plan to do the same thing with her. Much of what we do right now is at her request and focused on her interests.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
We began by gently introducing a teeny bit of structured math work (mostly discovery-oriented and playful, maybe 20 minutes about 3 times a week on average) around age 6. My third child was insistent on starting at 4 1/2, so I acquiesced. Other than music lessons we still haven't added anything else structured. My kids are 6, 8 and 11-soon. They're academically quite advanced, especialy the 6- and 10-year-olds.

Miranda

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
We did a few things in K (Fall 2002), when my oldest dd was 4. It wasn't really structured tho. That was partly my fault b/c I was pregnant and tired...and lazy. LOL

It wasn't until the following year, last Fall, that we really got into a routine and used more curriculum.

This year my 4yo is doing K..but just Handwriting and some phonics/reading and math with me (no curr. for those yet).

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Totally unschooling here, but we decided to homeschool (in the sense of leaving public school behind) about almost 5 years ago I think. I think many structured people start it around 6 years of age or so.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
It depends on when he asks for it. My son likes structured work, but I'm not quite comfortable making it formal with him yet (he's only two) so we do stuff which would certainly be considered "school" if he was older, but which is really more about entertaining him at this point (workbooks, letters, shapes, colors, addition/subtraction, etc).

I won't be formally saying "this is a homeschool student" until after he turns 8 and I'm legally required to in PA. So you could say that we're actually homeschooling him now, or that we're not doing it until he's 8.

My niece was pulled out of public school; she's 7.5 and I'm homeschooling her, for sure and certain, no maybes about it.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We are unschoolers but we began telling people we were homeschooling preschool just before dd turned 4. Kind of head off the headstart/preschool questions we got constantly. She turned 6 in October, so I tell family members and friends who are interested that she's in the equivalent of 1st grade
If I can chain them to a chair long enough or I think they are capable of appreciating the concept, I have been known to give long, detailed descriptions of child led learning

Of course, my child has been learning since the womb
I also began researching and declaring our intent to homeschool at that point.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
unschoolers here

But my oldest did go through Kindergarten in a PS and then for a couple of months at a Waldorf school. Then we homeschooled with a program and then went to a Charter and then on our own when it became impossible to be unschoolers with the Charter. My 12 year old has never been to a school.

But to answer the OPs question....I would say we just don't do that. I've seen that there seems to be a big trend in people "homeschooling" their preschoolers these days. Personally, I wouldn't go the structured route...but if I were I don't think I'd even consider it until they were at least 7.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I feel like ds has been "teaching" me since he was born! He just turned 5 and the legally required age for schooling in our state is 7, so we don't plan to do anything formal prior to then. At this point, we're really leaning towards unschooling, so maybe not after either! As I write this he is in the other room, humming songs, and making/wrapping presents at his craft table:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.