Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pediatrician said to wait on peanut butter until one or two years. That's a very wide stretch of time! We don't have any food allergies in our families, so I'm wondering what would make you wait until age 2 rather than starting at 1.

Thanks mamas!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
In my case, we have no allergies at all in the family. My ds got a smear of pb on him at the age of 15 months. Thank God that dh was paying attention. It turns out that ds is anaphylactic to peanuts.

I say to wait as long as possible, and personally, I'd test for the first time in the doctors' office, after my experience. Peanut allergy is far more common than you think.

HTH

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
My SIL and neice are doing a "Pint-sized Picassos" art class at the local YWCA. One class is apparently going to have them finger painting with peanut butter.
A class for 10month olds to 3 year olds. And the only reason SIL knows this (she's going to talk to the teacher about her dd using a different media) is that she spoke with a woman who'd already taken the class--there's *nothing* about it in the course description!

Oh, and apparently they're also supposed to be using things like raisins! Would you like a choking hazard with your art???

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
We initially intended to wait until 2 years, but DS snagged some PB a couple months ago at 20 months. Thankfully we have no history of allergies in the family or him and he's been fine with it. Some people recommend 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, it's hard to know what to go with. Just be careful and watch for any signs of reaction not only the first time, but every time.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
We have no food allergies on either side of the family. I was planning to wait until DD was over 2 years before I gave her peanut butter. But tis too late. When DD was 10 months old, my SIL gave her a bite out of her peanut butter sandwich.
Luckily, DD didn't react to the peanut butter but I still haven't given her any since that day.

·
Registered
234 Posts
We also started at one year - no history of allergies in the family.

Also, the peanut allergy thing seems to be much, much, much more common in North America than other places (like where I live). I know of at least ten little Canadians who are allergic, and not a single child I know of has that allergy here. In fact, people here feed their kids this peanut snack (like Cheetos, I guess, but peanut flavoured
) from the time they start solids, practically.

But I digress... one year, like Treemom2, who interestingly lives in Japan!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
We started at a year - no allergies here. For each kid, the first time I gave it to them, I drove to the ER, parked in the parking lot & gave them pb & j & read a few books, nothing happened, so we left

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I would wait as long as possible. 3 years old at the earliest.
Also, keep in mind, kids don't usually react the first time they are exposed. Those first exposures just sensitize them.
My son had an anaphylactic reaction at 14 months old from trace amounts of peanuts in my breastmilk. We ate lots of peanut butter in our house before that.
I was very blase about peanut allergies most moms. I never thought it could happen to my baby and I never really considered it. I was much more worried about bees (we have so many thanks to all the clover in our yard) and choking hazards.
Seeing my baby in anaphylactic shock is forever imprinted on my brain. It was the absolute worst moment of my life.
I strongly encourage mothers to wait. Peanut/butter just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boobs
My son had an anaphylactic reaction at 14 months old from trace amounts of peanuts in my breastmilk. We ate lots of peanut butter in our house before that.
Wow -- I didn't know that was possible. I eat PB on my toaster waffles every morning. Hmmm... maybe this justifies a switch to almond butter or something more interesting? We *heart* PB in our house, but I don't want to go through that.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
We just started peanut butter with 12 month old DS. I spread it VERY thinly on whole wheat toast and he loves it. I think that along with allergies, its recommended to wait because peanut butter is so sticky and younger babies might choke. Do what YOU think is best for your child. If there are nut allergies in the family, I personally would postpone until 2yrs.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
i'd just use other nut butters altogether. peanuts aren't all that good for you, comparitively. they have the highest mold content of any nut. and, unless they are organic, they are super pesticide-laden. think of the other possibilities...sunflower, almond, sesame, hazelnut...

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
We haven't introduced any nuts yet, but I am planning to wait until dd is 2 before introducing peanuts. We might do some other nuts a little sooner though, because I eat a lot of 'em.

·
Registered
294 Posts
We have a family history of allergies and are waiting until DD is at least 3. If there wasn't a family history, we'd probably intro it at 2. For the time being we use Sun Butter (mashed up sunflower seeds - tastes very similar to PB). DD loves it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
no reaction to pb in my bm, and dd had a snack that had pb in it soon after 12 months. She's had it a few times, but no major amount of pb - just traces - not that it matters for allergies. No family history of any food alleriges.

ellacy
dd 13 mo.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does the risk of reaction go down as the child gets older? Is that why we should wait until 2 or 3? Or is it something where if he has the allergy he just has it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.