Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I admit it, I'm a garage sale nut and I want to start hitting them up while the hitting's good. It seems that baby stuff is the only thing sold at garage sales around here (it's in the water) and just looking at all that cute stuff is killing me.

So when did you start shopping around for baby clothes and stuff like that?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been collecting baby stuff for over two years, but then again, I'm a freak

My first stuff was hand-me-downs from a friend who had twins.

Since I've been pregnant, I haven't really bought any clothes (except one outfit earlier this week) but I've been looking at VV for cloth diapers, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
Oh wow, I want to buy stuff already, but I'm wanting to buy stuff for me!! lol I have like ZERO maternity clothes! Ok, well I have 1 pair of jeans, that are too big for me, and 3 shirts. That's it. So I am always looking at the stuff on sale at Target or where ever, and dying to start buying stuff. But thankfully I have to wait. We're paying our midwife our of pocket, and that's gonna strap us. I'll have to wait until I am starting to out grow my clothes (have lots of elastic waist band stuff to hold me over) and then I'll be buying on ebay!

As for the baby clothes. I have a 2 yr old ds, born in September, this baby is due in March...but I have lots of friends who all seem to have GIRLS! I'm lucky, I'll at least be able to borrow a ton of stuff!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm really superstitious so we didn't buy anything until something like 34 weeks. But i'm a big dork. I did someresearch before hand on diapers and such. Also I had a baby shower with my firends and one with my coworkers so we got a lot of stuff that way too.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I actually started ordering diapers when I was around the end of 1st trimester/beginning of 2nd. I am 28 weeks now and have all the neccesities for this baby, either because we had them from previous kids or Ive already bought them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
With my first I went out and bought 2 outfits to celebrate the day I heard the heartbeat for the first time (think it was at about 12 weeks).

This time I started buying stuff early because I also know quite a few others that are pregnant so I thought if I bought something that didn't end up working for my baby I could use as a baby shower gift...but turns out that I am having a boy so I can use what I bought! Since I had my u/s and found out it's a boy I have picked up a few things.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I hear you about the yard sales! Now's the season, so we started buying stuff at 5 weeks! We are holding off on buying much new stuff, though, except if we see really good sale prices, until about 6 months. That gives it a chance to come along used at a good price.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Before i even knew I was pg i boought a co-sleeper for only $30 off of Craigslist! Yesterday I found a diaperpail with filters for 1/2 price @ VV. I'm only ten weeks, but have so far bought a pair of really cute jeans off the clearance rack at motherhood. DD is 8, but I'm a pack-rat and have a ton of stuff from her still. Oh Oh, Dh just made dinner, gonna go see if I can choke down some plain rice.

·
Registered
650 Posts
oh man..see I knew I was kinda weird when it comes to buying..LOL
I love a good deal, i was buying diapers and collecting baby items since before TTC!-you know whenever I saw a nice diaper cover that found its way to the resale shop, they go for about 25cents..prwraps, dappi, ecology kids usually..but hey..better than full price plus shipping

Then once I found out I was pregnant...onward to the gender neutral diapers and clothing...then we found out its a boy...and he is stocked on diapers and clothes and everything else until he's 2..LOL

I always buy off season though..like dd who is 4, I have the top of her closet stocked with 5T fall and winter clothes, most new on clearance and some resale and yard sale goodies....and this winter I'll be on a treasure hunt for sz 6 summer clothes

I say go for it...if its a good deal, pregnancy is great cuz you know what seasons you'll need and mostly get stuff on sale off season

also if you wait til you *need* it- it costs more and the cost is all at once..ya know

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I waited and waited and waited! LOL I started hitting the yard sale the first weekend of June (i was about 29 weeks along or so). Then I didn't start ordering my diaper stash till last week (when i was 34 weeks!!!!) !!! I still need to get a name picked out and an out fit for pics int he hospital but that's all!!! Oh i still need to get a few more small covers too!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It's not shopping, per se, but I saw a bunch of baby and child items on the curb w/ a "FREE TO A GOOD HOME" sign. There were baby and toddler equipment and toys, including a swing and puppet show set up. It was very hard for me not to check out that swing. But at 7 weeks, it seems a bit early!

I'll probably start checking out the baby items during my regular thrift store rounds, just to get an idea of prices and availabilty. I mean, I wouldn't buy anything yet.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I'm a thrift store and garage sale junkie, so I was buying stuff from before this baby was even conceived.
I'm a major sucker for high-end baby clothes, so if I see a Hanna set for $3, I just can't pass it up. Even if it is gender-specific. I already sell on ebay, so if I have a boy this time, I will just list most of Lucy's clothes for sale there. What's a few more things?

I have been buying diapers since I was maybe 10 weeks along with this baby. I prefer to do it one or two at a time, so we don't have to take a huge chunk of $$$ and spend it.

I need a new sling and a comfy chair for nursing....but I am going to wait till the baby comes so we can give those a test drive before buying.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I started buying the day I got my BFP.

I've been smart about it, though. I've only bought things onsale. This gives me a leg up, as I'll have most of the seasons out of the way by the time the little one comes.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We started buying things around 13 weeks. We wanted to get the pricey stuff out of the way (pack 'n play, carseat, stroller, swing, crib and some fancy bedding). Hopefully after my next OB appointment (next week!) we'll know the gender and will start buying clothes.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Well, I'm buying and the baby is not even conceived yet! :LOL I really want to spread out costs, mostly the cost of buying nb/sm diapers again (I got rid of all mine after DD outgrew them
). This baby won't need much else, but I do try to buy things if I find a deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had bought a few GN things early on in my pregnancy, but when we found out at 19 weeks that we are having a boy (now due in 5 weeks), I started shopping immediately. I have a whole dresser full of little boy clothes now from all the garage sales this year. I have an 8yo dd and 3 neices (1 born in each season), so we knew that we would be in trouble if we had a boy. He would have been dressed in an awful lot of pink if we didn't start early.

Luckily, we had a lot of the bigger things left over from the girls, and found a few screaming deals (highchair, dresser, umbrella stroller, bouncer seat) on some other things.

I think we are just about set now, with the exception of needing some more cd's (this is the 1st to start in cd) and some of the little odds and ends things.

TerriKay

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm due in 5wks and I started buying NB diapers even before TTC--we used CD with DD when she was 2mos, so I don't have any NB stuff, so I felt that was justified. Besides for that, I bought more baby-carrying stuff when I was about 2mos, a didymos and a maya to complement my trekker and H2H sling. All the other things we have are from DD--I figure even if it's a boy, we'll be dressing him in pink when we're at home and in the more GN things when we're out.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well, y'all have been a bad influence on me! I was just at the thrift store, hoping to find a plain black belt. After failing that goal, I decided to check out the maternity clothes and baby clothes. I managed to avoid picking up any of the A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E baby things, but I did find something in the maternity clothes.

It's a grey-green-bone tweedy jumper that will be perfect for fall/winter wear and within my work's dress code. From Motherhood, in great condition, $3.98. There's another outfit I might see if they've reduced in a couple of weeks.

Now I have to start pricing baby stuff. I'm probably better off at garage sales than thrift stores, but it's a deal either way.

·
Registered
650 Posts
thrift stores rock- i went to a church rummage sale when I was 12 wks preggy and *sure* it was a girl. Well I found a beautiful pink patchwork/ flowery crib bedding set by Pottery Barn for $3.50! And Gymboree coats and clothing- all girl, so cute!
I spent $10 and got a ton of stuff....come to find out, its a boy...DH just laughed at me- but its Pottery Barn!!!! So it got saved away with girl NB stuff from dd....until the next one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.