Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the usual pediatric advice is to give whole milk from ages one to two, then switch to a lower-fat milk. When did you make the switch, and why? Did you go to 2% (I think that's the recommendation) or skim?

My dd is 2.3yo, still nurses 4-5x/day, and takes about two 6oz cups of milk per day in addition to that. She's of normal weight (30th percentile).

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Dd doesn't drink milk but with ds, if memory serves, I started giving him skim milk around 2.5 - 3 years old. I just got tired of buying two different kinds of milk. Didn't go to 1 or 2%, just went straight from whole to skim. He didn't notice.

So long as your dc doesn't have weight-gain issues and really needs the fat in whole milk, I don't see why you can't switch now. Esp. since she is still breastfeeding.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Never

As far as I remember none of my grandma's cows produced low-fat milk

So, my DH, myself, DS and DD all drink whole milk and just watch how much butter and other fats we use in our diet (we all are rather fit if I may say so myself
)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
We switched at 2 years to skim milk for DD. She rarely drinks it, but she does want it on her cereal.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Never. There's nothing wrong with whole milk, *especially* for babies and chilldren.

Remember that babies should be chubby and children should be sturdy and strong, not slim. Babies need body fat to achieve optimum growth. The fat around their ankles, knees, elbows and wrists is growth fat that ensures adequate nourishment to the growth plates at the ends of the bones. Fat babies grow up into sturdy, well-formed adults, neither too tall nor too short and either slender or stocky depending on genetic heritage."

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
my 2year old is very skinny..and though i breastfeed him still i also give him organic whole milk and organic cream mixed in his sippy cup. he loves things like butter too..if he was a bigger kid i would probably not even buy milk because i drink rice or soy myself, but i think he needs the extra fat.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great info, tomsgirl -- thank you! I was hoping for some alternative reasoning to the "standard pediatric advice."

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
DD wasn't drinking a noticable amt of milk til around 2. Since her growth percentiles were divergent (like 75% height, 25% weight) and she is vegitarian (so, not a lot of fat sources) we kept her on whole milk until she was closer to "average" weight (3-3.5). From there she went to skim.

With DS because he wasn't drinking any milk (other than mine) til 2ish we just went straight to skim. At 39 months, he probably only averages around .5-1 cup daily. Cows milk is definately *not* his fat and protein source.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I buy either skim or 1%. Ds drinks probably 4-8 ounces a day of whatever is in the fridge, or sometimes oat milk or almond milk. Our diet has a lot of olive oil, fish oils, nut butters and other healthy fats, so I don't worry about it from that aspect. Ds also eats a little butter.

He doesn't nurse much anymore, but I wouldn't give him any cow's milk except that he asks for it. I just don't think kids need it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well, we don't actually drink straight-up milk, because it's just weird to us (the whole human nursing from a cow thing). But we do like yoghurt and cheese. So we always buy whole milk choices of these products. A nutritionist once told me that the calcium is absorbed only through the milk FAT. So people (like my naive mom, for example) who drink 4 glasses of skim milk a day aren't really getting the calcium from it. This is especially important if you also eat meat, since meat makes it harder for your body to absorb calcium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's also worth mentioning that fat slows down the digestion of food. If you switch too soon, baby will be more hungry because his/her belly will be empty much sooner.

My son has a rare eating problem and is 18 months and just now tolerating solid food. His GI doc had me add olive oil to his milk during the night so he'd wake up less to eat during the night which was leading to bottle mouth.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Please remember that organic dairy, including Horizon and Organic Valley is ultra-pasteurized. That means it was cooked at VERY high temps - think what this would do to your breastmilk! Your best bet is either to get non-heat-treated milk or milk that is "vat-pasteurized". This stuff is not easy to find, and you'll often need to make contacts with people locally to find it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have an 18 month old DS - he breastfeeds many many times during the day and eats regular meals and is in the 80th percentile for weight and growth. He drinks calcium enriched orange juice and eats Farleys (with calcium) and also lots of greens, tofu, cheese, yogurt and 1% milk. Maybe someone can explain
- I didn't understand the reasoning behind giving **** milk. If it's fat they need, can't you give them fat through other sources (like the yogurt, cheese, animal meats, olive oils, nuts and seeds)? I bought **** milk once but when I thought about it, I didn't understand the reasoning especially since a lot of people from various cultures don't even consume milk products. DH and I prefer the taste of 1% milk so that is what DS gets too. Although, I've discovered DS loves eggnog (high in fat!).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.