Votes: 20 15.2%
  • 15 months or more

Votes: 20 15.2%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh is a little worried that ds has not walked yet- just turned one on Friday. I am trying to reassure him... he crawls fast and will kind of walk behind this push toy we have- but has no desire to walk- when we hold his hands and try to get him to walk- he sits down- which I think is cute- but of course dh thinks that he HAS to walk- EVERYONE IS ASKING!!! So I will ask all of you- when did your dc or dc's walk?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I voted 14 months, but she actually took her first steps a week before her first birthday. It just took her a couple more months to really get confident, now she's just shy of 15 months and running

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
My dd starting walking about a week after she turned one. My ds started walking when he was 9mths (couldn't vote for him).
I would tell your dh not to worry one bit, it is perfectly normal and okay for your ds to not be walking. There is a wide range of when babes become walkers!!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My ds1 and dd both started walking about a week before thier first b-days.And you know what? I am in no hurry for Isaac to become upwardly mobile, or even mobile at all for that matter. I only want him to in order to know that he is on target in his development. I think within 14 months is normal though.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
DS didn't walk until he was a year and a half. He just had no wish to at all. And we didn't force it. I was determined to let him do it in his own time. I kept telling people "When he's 10 years old, it won't make a BIT of difference what age he walked at".
And sure enough, when he was ready, he walked. He got up and walked from one side of the house to the other. And walked ever since.

~Daednu

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My ds walked at about 14 months. He did not crawl until almost 11 months. It was very difficult for me at first as so many parents use it as a measurement of the superiority of their child. I know it is a great milestone, but I wish there was not so much focus on how amazing it is when a child walks early. Mine was not an early walker and I am darn proud of him!

·
Registered
12,520 Posts
Ok my child is abnormal....

she hated being on her stomach so she never crawled and started walking around 9 months..

my friends baby is a year old and still isnt walking... and i know lots of woman whose children started around 13-16 months...

i wouldnt be worried...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Mine was a 9-monther also, although he didn't get good and steady until 10 months. Frankly, I wish he had waited longer-- we might not have had so many "big bonks". But this is totally DS's style; headfirst off the cliff at full speed with a big smile on his face, so to speak. He rolled *at birth*, and was crawling at 5 months.

The most remarkable thing about all this is how FREAKING EXHAUSTED I am from constantly chasing him.

I think babes just are all at their own rhythm. We had dinner with some friends the other night, and they were mortified after watching our son zoom around, while their 15-month old daughter still wasn't walking.

Then said daughter opened her mouth and said, "mama, hunny. wan foo."

I almost fell over. DS says mama, dada, and tuck (truck.) I started thinking maybe my DS is really lagging in speech development.

I think so many of these "milestone" guidelines just serve to make us feel unsecure and second guess our children. They are so ingrained in our society, but I'm trying to make a conscious effort to ingore what he "should" be doing.

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Amber and Noah were both crawling at 6 months. Noah is now 7 months and pulls himself to stand when holding onto something. Amber did the same. She took her first steps at 11 months but started properly walking at 13 months.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
Dh is a little worried that ds has not walked yet- just turned one on Friday. I am trying to reassure him... he crawls fast and will kind of walk behind this push toy we have- but has no desire to walk- when we hold his hands and try to get him to walk- he sits down- which I think is cute- but of course dh thinks that he HAS to walk- EVERYONE IS ASKING!!! So I will ask all of you- when did your dc or dc's walk?
Em, your baby will walk when ready! My oldest walked at just shy of 18 months, my middle walked between 13/14 months and my youngest at just over 10 months. Try not to worry and try not allow others to make you worry.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
My DD started walking at 10 months, my oldest DS at 8.5 months (you do NOT want that! They get into stuff they aren't supposed to and don't understand why they can't...way worse than an older baby, at least!)

Don't worry! My nephew is 3 months older than DS #1 and he didn't start walking until 14 months...doing the math quick...who am I kidding, I'm not doing the math *LOL* but DS was walking way before he was and my step-sis was worried, but there was absolutely nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I did the same thread about 2 months ago because people were asking if my dd was walking yet. (she turned 1 on 4-21) I wasn't really worried, it was just that a lot of people would say "Oh she's one, she must be walking!" Well, no, not quite. Anyway, within a month, she was, and now she grabs her brother's hotwheels from him and RUNS! She still falls oh about every 3 seconds and usually bangs into something. Tell your dh to settle down and enjoy the last few minutes with his baby because you WILL have a toddler before you know it - ready or not.
I've also read that crawling is really good for brain development because of the way the left and right side work together.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
DD at 10.5 months, DS at 9.5 and they were both within a month using it as their sole form of transportation.

That said, the *average* child walks at 13 months, in a range from 10-16 months with both 8-9 months and 17-18 still considered "normal." DH walked at 6 months, so I figure for every one of him there is someone not walking til closer to 2.

Enjoy this time! And work on the talking :LOL

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.