Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most classes I see for toddlers are offered at 10 or 11 am. My 14 month old usually naps about three or four hours after she wakes, so that is about the exact time all these classes start. We don't really even get out of the house before 1pm. I was wondering when your babes started taking a later nap. Was it something you implemented? She only takes one nap and is up for the rest of the day until bedtime at about 8pm.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I've been wondering something similar. My ds naps two times a day still at 15 months, and it is really clear he needs both naps. He goes back to sleep a couple hours after waking up in the morning, and naps for at least an hour and sometimes over two hours. He goes back to sleep again about two in the afternoon, and again sleeps for at least an hour and sometimes over two hours. The class schedule you named would definitely not work for ds at this age.

It seems like the expectation around here is that kids his age are awake all day except a nap from 11ish am until 1ish pm. From what I can tell, every child is soooooo different, and ds seems like too much of a baby still to schedule a nap that is contrary to what he does naturally. Especially a schedule of just one nap.

So no answers, sorry...but similar wonderings.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Up until recently, my 18 mo. old dd started her nap around noonish, sometimes earlier. We wouldn't have been able to make those classes either. Sometimes I'd take her to storytime at 11, but it's short and I'd be able to get back home in time. All of a sudden within the last week or two, she started napping later. It was just a sudden switch and totally took me by suprise. I'd say the average time is about 2, but she's gone until 3 or later, or a few times asleep by 1. She wakes up everyday at a different time, but generally between 7.30 - 8.30. If her nap is a little earlier or later seems to depend entirely on how early she wakes up.

I don't know if that helps any, but my official answer is about 17.5 mos.
She naps for about an average of 3 hours and then goes to bed around 10. That part was the same even when her nap was earlier. So I just think it depends entirely on each individual child, really. :\

·
Registered
425 Posts
My DD took 2 naps until she was about 20 mos old (usually one around 10 or 11 and another around 3). That was about a month ago and she very suddenly switched to one nap in the afternoon. She goes down for her nap at about 1 p.m. now. There were some things we missed out on when she was taking 2 naps, but I just tried to get her to an earlier class or story time if there was one offered. I think that if your DD is doing well with an earlier nap, then that is probably what she needs. My DD let me know when she was ready for a later one by refusing to fall asleep earlier.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
If the girls are out and about, they can last until 12 or even 1 before they get super tired. If we are home, they usually nap 10:30 or 11:00 for about 2 hours.

Rach

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I agree with the 17.5-month estimate! Ds is 20.5 months now, and has been taking an afternoon nap for a few months. (starting as early as 1:00 or as late as 2:30 or 3, depending on when he woke up in the morning) It was a gradual change before that - the nap used to be around 11:00 or 11:30 and then moved later and later until where it is now. We moved in February, when ds was 14-15 months, and I remember soon after, we tried an 11:00 music class once - he was falling apart by the end, just wanted to nurse for the last 10 minutes of the class. Now I don't understand all the activities that start at 1pm! ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts