Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering - my DD can hold up her head, etc but is probably not ready. She would like to look around more, I'm sure, than I can get her to with our pouch sling in the cradle hold or tummy-to-tummy....

I've tried the "buddha carry" but she doesn't seem too comfortable. I wonder what other things we could try to get her to lbe able to see out better.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The hip carry is best for when she can sit unassisted or close to it. One carry my DD liked was the sitting up cradle. You have her facing the side as she would be in the cradle carry, but instead of lying on her back, she was sitting on her bottom. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
i think Liam was able to do it at around 5 months - that's when he was sitting unassisted. He hated the sling before that, so it was great for me! I don't think Rhiannon was able to do it until 8 or 9 months, because she took a lot longer to be able to sit, even assisted. She never really got good at it, because she had this habit of stretching her legs down straight instead of sitting on my hip. neither one ever liked the forward facing carry (i assume that's what you mean by buddha). until she could do the hip carry, when she wanted to face out, I had to use the Baby Bjorn instead.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I think mine started in the hip carry around 4-5 months. Before that, they really liked sitting up in the sling, sideways (facing like they would in a hip carry, baby's leg is against my belly) with their feet up in the sling. I don't know if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
: Well, I feel silly posting this now but I do a hip carry with my twelve week old. I think we started at 9-10 weeks. I started with my moby wrap but found that she prefers my sling. Is there some reason I shouldn't be doing this at her age? She hates all other sling carries, and it's too hot for the moby wrap. I ususally keep her feet in the sling and cover her shoulders with the top, so that if she falls asleep I can pull the top up to support her head. I hope that this is ok to do, she loves to be able to look around from my hip, but would always just fall asleep in other positions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I actually tried the hip carry with my almost 8 week old today! All of a sudden she wants to look out and doesn't want to be tummy to tummy when using the ring sling. She usually likes the kangaroo carry facing out with the hotsling but today she wasn't diggin it. So I grabbed the ring sling and tried a hip carry! She was actually able to do it (she seems to have good head control for her age!) but she was in a grumpy mood and didn't like any carries today!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I waited until I was carrying him on my hip with my arm, and until that seemed comfortable for him for a good length of time. If I wasn't comfy holding him in that way with my arm, I didn't see why I would do it with fabric.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts