Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're renters and 2 of our rooms have those cords that could strangle kids. One of the cords hangs down behind our bed. I know we'll need to figure out someway of changing them, but when should I do this by? And any suggestions on how? Is it our responsibility or can we get our landlord to do it? We're absolutely broke right now
but I don't want to hurt our DD.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We have those cords too, and while I realize that the best thing would be to replace all the blinds, we just don't have that money right now.

So, what we do (and I know it gets cumbersome, but that's just the way it has to be) is to get up on a chair every time we raise or lower the blind and secure the cord up high--out of DS's reach. In other words, either drape it over a curtain rod or twist it around a nail or hook we've fastened high up on the wall.

I know it's not foolproof, and it does get tiring, but the way I see it--the point is to get the cord out of his reach, right? We just have to be really vigilant about actually keeping the cords out of his reach.

I will be following this thread for other ideas as well, as this is something we are concerned about. Maybe someone else has good ideas.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Shorten them. That's what I did in my apartment. Put the blind all the way down and mark where the cord goes into the top of the blind. Cut it about 6 inches from there and replace the pulls. When the blind is all the way up it should still be short enough so that your son can't get it.

It's not that noticeable, really, to a landlord.

What is noticeable are the bitemarks on the slats that make it look like my DD was trying to gnaw her way out of her room. So I have to buy new ones anyway.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The product link that fruitfulmomma posted could be just what you need. Trimming them to just the necessary length can also help prevent entanglement, especially if you are always careful to put the excess up over the rod.

You'll want to have them child-proofed by the time your child is mobile, including the army-crawling stage. Curious babies can pull themselves up and get into trouble quicker than you could imagine!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Also make sure they are two seperate strings, not one string that hangs in a loop. Most newer blinds have two strings, but you can just cut them if it is only a loop.

We installed small gromets next too all of our windows. My DF did it while I was still pregnant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.