Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I remember introducing the potty to my DS periodically, but he wasn't out of diapers until 3.5yo. DD is 20mo and I am starting to think about buying one to at least introduce it but are there signs I should be looking for that she may be interested? I have heard that girls can sometimes be ready earlier than boys and although I am ready to be out of diapers, I don't want to make more effort than I have to!  :)  Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
<p>I bought a potty seat (we never used a potty) when ds was about 17 months. I started putting him on it after naps & first thing in the morning right away - although not always consistently. By 20 months he was dry through naps & started letting him nap without a diaper & then potty right away when he woke. At 22 months I started pling in earnest & he was reliable within a month.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think I lucked out with timing things just as he was ready. When we started pling in earnest he already had a pretty good idea what the toilet was all about so it was more about helping him learn what his body was telling him.</p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>we introduced the potty at 11.5 months, as a really casual getting her used to the idea thing. started with when she wakes up. we're not anywhere near going on the potty all the time, but she will go on the potty several times a day if I offer (I just take her when I go, so very little effort, and we don't go through as many diapers). we're just getting to the point where she will start to ask sometimes. she's 18 months old, really because she's using words now. there's no harm in introducing the potty early as long as you don't stress about it. I just think of it as paving the way for future pottying, rather than full-blown potty training. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts