Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 y.o. has a dentist appt next week & I just assumed he wouldn't need x-rays yet. But, our friends' son just had his 2nd set today!?!?!? Is it common/mandatory to get x-rays at age 5? He still has all of his baby teeth.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
It certainly isn't mandatory but it is common. You can just decline and they will tell you their reasons for wanting to take them. My ds got x-rays at age 3 because he had many cavities and we wanted to know the extent of the decay. Last time (age 4.5), I told the dentist that I didn't want x-rays for that visit but we will do them next time to check up on his supernumery tooth that needs extracting (the first x-ray caught the fact that he has an extra adult tooth).

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
They wanted to do x rays on my dd because of cavities but she just cant handle that thing in her mouth so they didnt get done. Frankly that thing hurts my mouth.

If she gets x rays it will prolly be while she is under having her cavites worked on.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You have the right to accept or refuse treatment. My son saw the dentist from the time he was three but didn't get an xray until he was six or seven and there were concerns about tooth alignment. Some dentists really want to xray them every time but you can always say no. You will also need to make a decision about topical flouride and maybe about sealants.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
My 4 yo had x rays done at her last appt. They tried the appt before, but she wasn't able to tolerate it. I think they wanted hers especially because she had an accident and her 2 front teeth were injured. And she sucks her thumb.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCatLvrMoMof2
They wanted to do x rays on my dd because of cavities but she just cant handle that thing in her mouth so they didnt get done. Frankly that thing hurts my mouth.
Our friends recently got digital (?) x-rays for their kids and they didn't have to use the huge things anymore so it went much better.

DS will be 5 this month and has had two sets of x-rays (both showing cavities
: ), DD is 7.5 and has had several.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.