Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To clarify: we cosleep.<br><br>
But - I *must* be in bed with DS (16 months) 100% of the time for him to stay sleeping. When he naps, if I get out of bed, he is awake and crying before I can even make it out the bedroom door. It doesn't have anything to do with the length of time he's been sleeping - I can wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and before I make it there, he's crying. I don't know how, but somehow - he KNOWS.<br><br>
I was more understanding for the first year, but now he's 16 months, and I'm pregnant with my second. Lying down makes me nauseated a lot of the time, and it's causing naptime to be less than 5 minutes a day, which equals a fussy baby for the latter part of it.<br><br>
Funniest part about this is that he is really independent and highly spirited during the day - and not cuddly in the least until he's sleeping.<br><br>
Are there any tips or anyone else who's gone through this? Do they grow out of it eventually? I'd appreciate any info!!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I gradually taught mine to sleep on her own when she was 3 months (for naps; she wakes every 45 minutes if I'm not there at night) by nursing her down, then getting up when she fell asleep. She'd wake up, and I'd nurse her down again, get up, etc. It took an hour or so the first day, but was easier after.<br><br>
Yours is older, so I'm not sure if that would work, but it's what worked for us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts