Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 23 months and this past month has started using a fork and a spoon. She was never interested before. But now she's doing it, and she's really good with them. Plus, she now eats a whole lot more food. What age is normal to start self feeding with utensils? Isn't it normally younger than two years?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Every child is so different. It wasn't until well past two with my daughter, around 20 months with my son and around 14 months with my other son. I think a lot of it has to do with personality.
Wendi

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
OK - with DS #1 (who is now 4) he is just getting this down recently - but I didn't offer him silverware for a long time.

With the triplets - as soon as I put a bowl down in front of them to feed themselves - I also gave them a utensil.

Can I tell you that my 19 month old triplets eat almost as well with a fork as my 4 year old!

So my personal experience is -- as soon as they feed themselves - give them a utensil - and they will master it sooner than you can believe.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah, our son is 3 1/4 and just recently got down the spoon thing. He used to turn it upside down every time and would get very upset when his yogurt or whatever got all over him.

He started using a fork somewhere around 2 or 2 1/2 but we still fed him quite a bit of the time until recently. But, he is a reluctant eater and is also what some would call "high needs"

However, the other day I was working on the computer and ds was eating applesauce at the coffee table. I didn't realize he had put it in the middle of the floor until I turned around to find dd, SEVEN MONTHS!!! spooning the applesauce into her mouth! She had made a mess but was holding it right side up and had gotten some in there.

So I'd say anywhere from 7 months to 3 years

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I fit right in with the above posters when I say longer for an older child and early for a younger sib

dd#1 - I have no idea?
DD#2 - recently, over 2.5 but before she was 3
DD#3 - when DD#2 did, but she is 18 months younger - so 12-14 months

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm laughing at this one because I just started giving my ds (who is just about 21 months) a plate/bowl and spoon or fork. I did NOT get the memo about doing this when they first start eating solids!
This is one of those "doh!" moments for me... I avoided giving ds utensils cause I didn't want to deal with the mess. Well.... now I'm dealing with the mess and having to teach the NEW habit of "the food stays on the plate and the plate stays on the table." Sigh... if only I could find that manual that came with him when he was born...

·
Registered
214 Posts
DS is 23 months and not very interested in using utensils. In the rare instances when he will use a spoon (almost always with yoghurt), he doesn't do too badly, though. Mostly, we still feed him foods that require a spoon and he has gotten really good at feeding himself all sorts of foods with his fingers (including rice and beans). He was really interested in using utensils when he was younger, and I thought it made sense to wait till it would be less of a mess, lol....With DC #2, I'll offer the utensils with solids and when he is ready to try let him go for it no matter what the mess

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, my DD started insisting on using a spoon and fork around 9 months. She's 23 months now and is really good with them. She does cereal, and soup with a spoon with only a little mess. We're now working on cutting with a knife. She loves to spear things with her fork and put it in her mouth, she's pretty good at that now.

Liam.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I think it varies depending on the child's interest to use them and of course having the opportunity. DS is 17 months and just in the last month has really done well using a small fork and spoon. He actually does better with the fork since he can poke stuff.
He hasn't been eating table food for too long since he nurses so frequently but as soon as I first offered it many, many months ago I included utensils for him to try. With all three kids I've used "adult like" (but child sized) stainless steel utensils and skipped the plastic stuff. To me those seem harder to use.

The Montessori center I worked in started encouraging use of utensils starting at the introduction of food and all the children I worked with were successfully feeding themselves by the time they transitioned to a toddler room (between 14-18 months). They also used tiny glass cups without any type of lid and it worked well. So it's possible for them to master this early on.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
ds was slow to start solids, and i didn't really introduce a spoon until hmm 16 or 17 months? it's just been since 19 months that he can do anything effective with it, and at 20 he's mastering the fork, too. he likes to put things on his fork with his fingers and then lift it up to his mouth. he's really in a phase where he likes to copy everything we do, so it's a great time for him to take up this skill.

·
Registered
381 Posts
DS is 14 months... He just uses the spoon to fling or splatter food and insists on having 4 spoons. Then just uses fingers and proceeds to lick the bowl...a wonderful habit Papa taught him. But the bowl is no longer a hat.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
DD has been using a spoon well since, hmm.. around 12 months maybe? Perhaps a little earlier. I started with her morning oatmeal because it's thick enough not to run off her spoon but thin enough to scoop easily. Before that she ate it with her hands, but within a couple weeks she had the spoon thing down. She's 19 months now and has been consistently using a fork for about a month or so.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
ds started stabbing food with whatever was handy (a straw, a crayon) at about 15 months. It finally clicked in my head that he needed a fork soon after that. He was really good with stabbing early on, it took him until about 19 months to get scooping under control.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
My 20 month old has been good with a fork for quite a few months now. He's just now mastering keeping his spoon upright.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.