Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
When my oldest ds was about 2, he started getting really difficult to get to sleep, both at naptime and at bedtime. By the time he was 3, it was almost impossible- it would take me an hour or 2 at both to get him to go out. I saw that on the days when he skipped his nap, bedtime was easy, short, and peaceful, and he did not seem all that bothered by the lack of nap. This was when we decided to give it up.
I think that all kids need different amounts of sleep. You just have to go with what seems to work best for your dd. At 3, if there are no other issues- ie, ear infections, illness, etc, I would try to go without the nap for a while, and see how it works. You may find that she is so grumpy and hard to deal with that she needs something- maybe a 1/2 hour nap, but not a long one. or you may find that she is ready to give up the nap altogether. Just see what works.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My ds is 3 next week and he still usually takes a nap. We have had a few napless days and they tend to be pretty miserable by 3 or 4 pm, but he does fall asleep earlier in the evening... I am not sure that's the best tradeoff just yet. I remember still taking naps as a kid when I was 6 or 7 yrs old. And my dh takes an afternoon nap every Saturday and Sunday

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
DS was not even 2 when he stopped taking a nap every day. Then sometimes he would fall asleep at 5 or 6, get up for a couple hours around midnight for a snack and go back to bed. SOme nights now he goes to bed at 8, sometimes as late as midnight

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
DD1 will be 7 in January and DD2 is 4 1/2. Both of them still nap for 2-3 hours on the weekends, and DD1 falls asleep in the car on the way home from school almost every time. DD2 is getting close to wanting to stop taking naps, but sometimes when she's getting borderline, she'll go to her room to "chill out" and end up sleeping for a few hours.
She knows she needs sleep so that she can have a good day.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
DS is four, and he still naps almost every day. He's old enough now that if we need to skip nap due to our schedule, he can handle it without evening meltdowns. Most of his young-four friends still nap in the afternoon as well.

How much sleep does your DD get in a 24-hour period? A lot of kids have more trouble falling asleep if they're too tired. I don't know if that's the case for your DD because obviously kids' sleep needs vary a lot. Does she fall asleep often in the car? Does she have more trouble at the end of the day (falling apart more than when she's rested, getting wilder and wilder, etc.) If she does, then that might indicate she needs more sleep than she's getting. You could try moving her bedtime back a bit and see how that affects her.

One other thought, someone once told me that around three a lot of kids start resisting naps, but if you keep insisting on quiet time, they'll start napping again. This was true for my DS. What I did was tell him that if he lay very still for 20 minutes, he could get up and play for the rest of quiet time if was still awake. I'd turn the monitor way up, so I could hear if he was squirming around. When he'd actually lie still, he'd be asleep in just a couple of minutes. The key was to give him an incentive to lie still long enough to fall asleep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.