Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only know people who have used sposies and the advice I got from them was to change them before they eat because you will wake them if you change them after they eat.

Well cloth doesn't have the super absorbant gel that keeps the baby dry and I want to try to avoid fleece. If they go right after they eat then they will be sleeping in a wet diaper. If I change after eating I will be making a sleepy baby wide awake and I have heard to never wake a sleeping baby. I just don't know when is the best time, before or after?

Also what is a typical day with a newborn like. I ass u me...
starting in the morning...
Baby wakes up, I'll need to change a diaper.
Then what, do we play, eat, and then change another diaper before it is time for more sleep and change when baby wakes up ....how does a normal day go?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I usually change Isabella after I nurse her - because she typically lets loose during a nursing session! I also change her if I hear her go (she's a very loud baby! LOL) and I also check her diaper if she's crying for no apparent reason and also I usually check her when I change Harrison - hey, as long as I'm changing one I may as well change the other!
I promise it doesn't take long to get a diapering routine down - you'll learn when your baby needs to be changed - they'll usually let you know! And I'll warn you - the first few weeks it will seems like ALL YOU DO is change diapers! But hey - at least with cloth it's fun!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Each of my three babies so far were reallly different, so it's hard to say what a typical day is like with a newborn. They sleep a lot, they only need to be held and loved a lot and nursed often and they are usually happy.

IMHO, it is best not to try to schedule a young baby, especially if you are trying to establish a breastfeeding relationship. Just follow baby's cues. The baby will let you know when he's hungry. needs some comforting, is uncomfortable because he's cold or wet or whatever, or when he is tired, a newborn will just usually go to sleep. With my babies, I just nursed a lot, if they wanted to nurse, then that's what we did, it didn't matter how soon it was again. If they wanted to nurse just for comfort, that was fine too.

My breastfed babies would always have a big runny bf poop while nursing or right after nursing, so I would wait until right after nursing to change them. At night, if I nursed on one side, then they pooped and I changed them, I could nurse them back to sleep on the other side. If it was daytime, I would probably just wait until they were totally done nursing (because sometimes they'd surprise me and poop twice during a nursing),and then if they were tired they'd just fall back to sleep if I held them or wore them in the sling.

The only time I would wake a sleeping baby is if I heard them poop, I wouldn't want them sitting in that. If you do it quickly and keep the lights dim at night and all, they will often go back to sleep. But I wouldn't worry about wetness, you can't keep them completely dry, especially at night, when you're trying to sleep. I honestly don't think that wetness bothers them either, as long as they are warm. That's why wool covers are great. I would try to limit the changes at night, and then change often during the day.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
with a newborn our routine was
eat sleep poop
eat sleep poop
eat sleep poop
eat sleep poop
eat sleep poop

that help any? :LOL :LOL

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had an extremely sleepy newborn, so I got in the habit of changing her in between breasts. If I did it before a feeding, she was so fussy with hunger, the changing was a nightmare, but if I waited until after a feeding, I would have to wake her up to do it. Sometimes after changing her, I would put her to my other breast, and she would poop, and I would have to change her again, but in the beginning changing and feeding is all you do anyway. Especially if you breastfeed since they are constantly pooping. As someone else says, don't worry about establishing a routine for a while. Your baby will show you what to do!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I think it is impossible to keep a newborn absolutely dry, at least if he has the potty habits of my son. I would lay my son naked at least once/day on a waterproof mat on the floor or our bed and "play" with him. I would occasionally count the number of times that he peed, and it was usually 7-15 times every 15 minutes. Maybe he's unusual in some way, but I think the issue with diapering a newborn with cloth is that you have to decide how wet is acceptable for you, which may depend upon whether or not s/he is sensitive to being wet, either because they fuss or wake up because of the wetness, or because their skin develops redness or rashes. So I think you have to give up on the idea that you will change him/her as soon as they are wet, because they are peeing all the time. My son has never been bothered by a wet diaper, so I would just try to change him on a schedule if he wasn't pooping-- every hour during the day, and only if he pooped at night.

Some babies are so easy going that they will fall right asleep after a diaper change, especially with nursing, or they sleep through diaper changes. I'm sure you'll figure out what works for you once your babe is here-- like most parenting issues, this is trial and error.

Karla

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
ita don't schedual, watch for cues and you'll soon learn. i was queen diaper changer i did it so much so often i could do it w/o waking him up and in the dark lol, fitteds are good that way
. i still do change him at 16 months in the night if he's showing signs of discomfort (which indicates he peed but most nights now he's making it until morning) and can still do it in the dark, snaps or aplix or even a snappi
if you can avoid it, try not to let baby sleep in a poopie, those cause rashes
but if it's just pee, usually you can wait until next changing which usually isn't long anyway. relax, you'll do fine

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ITA about not scheduling babies, The few people I know who have done strict baby schedules had other issues regarding bf'ing, sleeping, and stress.

All 3 of my kids alway pooped either while or right after breastfeeding. I would wait 5 or so minutes to make sure they were done (learned this the messy way) then change and nurse on the other side if needed.
I'm a huge proponent of not waking a sleeping baby. But if the diaper is poopy, can't miss that sweet smell, then I would always change. If just wet and they are sleeping peacefully let them sleep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts