Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I thought about this as I saw the thread on 'full-term' check in.  I think we have various definitions for full term.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At 35 weeks: Hospitals don't stop labors</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At 37 weeks: Steroids aren't needed for lung maturity</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At 38 weeks: You're considered full term by most hospitals</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This is the world I operate in so I decided to look at my time line differently. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I remember with DD, I was counting down loosely from 90 days, then at 60 days, I counted down in 10s.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Today, marks 30 days left to go for my EDD!  I think it's a good time to start counting down in 5s.</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>What do you do?</p>

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
<p>I've got 30 days till my c/s.  I'm counting down the days till then.  I'm also counting down the days till 37 weeks with the hope that maybe I won't make it to my c/s.  I know my dr will stop labor if it comes before 37.</p>

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
<p>I still get confused about the 37 & 38 week thing.  37 weekers technically aren't preterm so many sources just lump them on with full term.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I really don't know how to count down.  On one hand he could be born really soon and be fine but on the other I could be waiting 5 more weeks for him.  I think I'm just going to count down to his 'eviction date' (42w), lol.</p>

·
Registered
591 Posts
<p>My kids started a Christmas countdown on our whiteboard, lol, so I keep looking at it and subtracting 7 days, which is when I will probably be induced.  If this baby ever gets into a decent position!</p>

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
<p>I'm not counting down to my EDD, because I don't want to get fixated on it and then be disappointed!  I can't deliver at the birth center until the end of the 37th week, so 38 weeks is my real goal here.  Though I admit that in 2 days it will be one month till Squirt's EDD.  I know that by Jan 2, I will have Squirt one way or another (42 weeks) but I don't want to count down to that, either, because that seems terribly long!</p>

·
Registered
220 Posts
<p>I know what you mean. In the lactation world we consider 37 weekers 'Late pretermers" and call them the "great pretenders" in re:to breastfeeding. Often times they will appear to be good breastfeeders but when you do before and after weights aren't transferring. I am loosely counting down to my last night of work, 12/13 and when my midwife flies in 12/17. I just want to make it to 40 weeks. I don't want to deliver sooner. Time will tell!! </p>

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
<p>This time around I just wanted to make it to 37 wks since my last baby came just before 36 wks and had some breathing problems. I'm there now and honestly, I'd rather go 1-2 more weeks if possible.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts