Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few customers that always email me asking when their order is going out, and while I really don't mind their emails, they always refer back to the date in which they either got the order slot or gave me their list. I, on the other hand, always go by the date they PAID. Like someone will say they received their order in 5 or 6 weeks when they really only paid 3 or 4 weeks ago.

So, when do you start the count??

·
Registered
994 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF
The only time I process an order before it's paid is if they're sending me a check/money order or they paid with an e-check.
Same here. I won't even think about cutting an order until I'm paid. I've seen too many WAHMs burned that way. And I'd hate to put off a customer who actually pays because I was working on an order that never ends up paying.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynski
Same here. I won't even think about cutting an order until I'm paid. I've seen too many WAHMs burned that way. And I'd hate to put off a customer who actually pays because I was working on an order that never ends up paying.
Same here

·
Registered
383 Posts
We also wait until the order is paid before we make the products. That way if they never send a check we do not have wasted product or if they take 3 weeks to pay, the product isn't just sitting there.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I agree with the others, I wouldn't start work until I'd been paid. BUT, when conversing with customers, or posting your turnaround time on your website, I'd be sure to state that you start counting from the time you receive payment. That way there aren't any surprises.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I am going to be a smart a$$ and say that I do not take custom orders anymore because the time it takes for each order is usually a week of emailing back and forth etc.

When I was taking them I counted from the time the money was taken but also warned all customers that I am slower then a snail and would take anywhere from 4-12 weeks. :LOL

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
PAID - for sure - geeze. Thank goodness I haven't had anyone be cruddy like that - my customers have been pretty sweet when it comes to the time it takes me.

Anyway, I just ACT like I get their order for real when they have paid. Prior to that, I can't assume they are serious about my time and efforts. It's not a huge leap for them to consider that.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also count turn around time from when I'm paid (though since I also have instock stuff that I take to home parties I will often start making thier order when ordered since I can add it to my stock if they don't pay).

But as someone else mentioned, make sure this is clearly stated on your site. Then if they try to count from order date you can point them to that information on your site & correct their perception of turn around time.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree with the others. My only exception is for wholesale customers, because I don't like holding anyone's money and it usually takes me a few weeks to turn around wholesale orders. So I start working on them immediately, and then when I'm ready to ship I invoice them and ship once they've paid. If they change their mind, then I have a stockpile of product ready for my retail customers (yippee!!).

If you post on your website that turn-around time starts once payment has been received, then it will cut down on their (silly) confusion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts